Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I've read that a few people on here use products that contain Chlorhexidine to prevent tartar and tooth decay on their dogs.

I recently started using a bit of it on my dog's teeth because there's this one spot that can't be brushed and doesn't get contact when chewing. Looking at the wikipedia entry for Chlorhexidine, it seems there's a large category of chemicals that deactivate Chlorhexidine and basically ends its bactericidal properties.

Do you apply the Chlorhexidine right before or after tooth brushing with a toothpaste like Petrodex? Does anyone know if dog toothpaste contains any of these deactivating agents? If dog toothpaste deactivates Chlorhexidine, you might not be getting much benefit from the mouth rinse.

Chlorhexidine is deactivated by anionic compounds, including the anionic surfactants commonly used as detergents in toothpastes and mouthwashes, anionic thickeners such as carbomer, and anionic emulsifiers such as acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, among many others. For this reason, chlorhexidine mouth rinses should be used at least 30 minutes after other dental products.
The wikipedia article was referring to people toothpaste, because people toothpaste most likely contains surfactants and thickeners, but I would think that dog toothpaste is likely to include thickeners also. Whether they're anionic, I don't know. A casual search of the ingredients in didn't turn up anything definitive.

Sorbitol, Purified Water, Dicalcium Phosphate, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, Poultry Digest, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Glucose Oxidase (Aspergillus niger)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts