Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from work today and my Mom told me that last night, while Shep was sleeping on her lap, he peed on her. When I asked for further detail she said that by the time she woke up and reacted to being peed on, he had already finished peeing. To wake him up and get him off of her, all she did was say "Shep, off" just once. She also said that when Shep got off of her and on the floor, he was acting normal and didn't even seem like he knew what had just happened.

So he was laying down and a sleep and he just urinated right there on the both of them. Mom also said that he peed quite a bit. All day today he's been acting like a perfectly normal Shep. He's never had accidents in the house and I've never seen him pee in his sleep before. (Nor have I seen a puddle from where he was sleeping.)

He's roughly a year old... So what just happened? Do I need to be concerned? Is this a concern I should take to the vet?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, if it were a (spayed) female I'd suspect spay incontinence. I guess I would just keep an eye on him, and if it happened again I'd have a urinalysis run to look for infection or other problems. If it only happens this one time. . .well, I guess we can all have fire hydrant dreams sometimes :p.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing happened last night. A co-worker also suggested that maybe he was in such a deep sleep that he didn't realize he had released his bladder. He is still being his normal self, bounding about with hyperness and isn't showing any sign of pain. So yeah, for now I'm going with the fire hydrant dream, lol. But still, I'm keeping an eye on him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dog has been experiencing this problem too! A little backstory: I have a 12 year old German Shepherd female. She is spayed. While getting older she is still very active and alert. She does tend to drink heavily at certain time despite my best effort to curb this behavior. Our girl sleeps on a dog bed next to our bed. About 2 weeks ago we woke up Saturday morning to discover our dog soaked in her own urine and the pad upon which she sleeps dripping wet. Cleaned the bedding and took her to Petco for a self serve bath. We assumed it was a one time ordeal but since that first accident it has happened three more time including last night. I am at a loss as to how to help my dog.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Talk to your vet. She may have an infection or it might be part of aging. She will probably needs meds of some kind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took Adela to the vet this past Friday. UTI was ruled out. She goes in for tests to determine if she has Cushings disease this Wednesday. Vet gave her some hormone pills to see if that makes a difference. So far she's had 6 accidents in about three weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts