Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a cat for 15 years with that problem. Ash in the food is a causing agent. You need to find dog food that has low ash. That is what worked for my cat and the vet was one to suggest it!
http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/article-prescriptionpetfooddiets.php
not *entirely* true. Ash content is what is left over when the pet food is incinerated ie. all the minerals left. Ash is not evil, its essential for life! but finding a food with the right balance of minerals can be tricky, especially since they are not listed individually on the bag ;)

to combat urinary issues do the following 3 things
1. increase water consumption. Be creative, do you want to add wet food? or add warm water to kibble, get a fountain, or doggy pupcicles? the options are endless. pupcicles made with chicken baby food and a pinch of non iodized salt help loads with increasing water consumption, and they are a fun summer treat.
2. Acidify the urine. This can be accomplished a few ways. a.) cranberries in various forms whether dried and top dressed on food, dried and then ground to a powder and top dressed, or found in a dog's food formula (there are foods out there that contain cranberries!) Also MEAT is a natural acidifyer of urine so a food with meat as the first ingredient will help tremendously.
3. Limit the amount of excess calcium and magnesium your pet eats. This is where that ash part up top is partially true. Limit the magnesium and calcium (the 2 minerals that form in the urinary system) and the body will have less "fuel" to make the crystals.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do add water to the food at night. She always has fresh water and I feed her Wellness and Natural Balance depending on whats in stock. So she gets a good quality food with protein.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just offering water may not be enough. Sassy doesn't like to drink water and now she is old it is awful listening to the slow slurps she will take once a day if it is hot out. Not a problem, she gets wet food three times a day. Really wet food!http://http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm Make sure your dog gets at least this amount of water daily. More is better. Lots more. Sassy gets 1.5 times plus 0.5 liters of subcutaneous fluids a day for her kidney disease. And I am planning to give more!

Check the urine with pH strips. If it goes alkaline then there could be an infection starting again. Most dogs have okay urine pH when healthy. Cranberries work by keeping bacteria from setting up shop on the bladder wall. There is also a particular sugar that helps, L-mannose.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I gave her some organic, unsweetened cranberry juice today and she actually liked it! Do you guys think giving her some juice daily will work as well as a powder? I like the idea of the organic juice better...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The juice is less concentrated than the powder, so you might have to give her a lot of it. But it can't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts