Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends ! I Need Help Regarding The Following Issue: My friend recently adopted 2 Rottweiler’s. They are both Female & 7 Months Old. They didn't receive any kind of training till they were 6 Months Old and also lived in a single kennel. My friend was unaware of the Syndrome so do the Backyard Breeder. The sisters were trained together at my friends place. He gave them some training like Sit, Down & Proper Leash Walk but they don’t respond to the commands well. They are kept in separate kennels next to one another. They simply don’t enjoy it. After I figured out the problem I tried to work with one dog instead of two as I have read that they should be trained individually & separately and etc from 7 Weeks of age. The response I got: Totally not interested to focus in training or an exercise even stop and doesn't move while walking on leash. I tried it for a single day. Both the sisters seem very shy & anxious. But when they are together they sometimes responds to Sit - Down (Not Constant) & also walks well on leash. We don't have expert dog trainers and behaviorists where I live. It will be very helpful if I receive some expert suggestions regarding the issue. Is it possible to train them proper Obedience without separating them? Is it possible to work with an individual dog? Should I separate them completely? Should I allow them to play together? Or completely keep them separated? Even if they are completely separated until the dependency reduces they will have interactions when they will be put into kennels which is next to one another. Please advise me what should I do?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would separate them for training and other activities, you do need to work with them together as well. Move the kennels so they are not next to each other for now. You need to create a relationship with each and that is hard to do if they are focused on each other. You may have to rehome one but you would have to decide that if you can't help them any other way. Two pups are 3x the work but it is possible it you are willing to put in the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For The Reply SirviRavenWind !

If I move the kennel and even manage to gain their trust for how long should I keep them totally separated ? It might take few months..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Main Goal is to train them for Obedience, Protection & Breeding. I don't know why they have purchased two siblings at the same time. But for sure he wasn't aware of the Litter Mate Syndrome. They are being kept in separate kennels now but they play and eat together. They want to keep both the dogs. Now when I have aware them of the fact they want them to train, feed & exercise each dog individually but at one point of the day the dogs will interact as the kennels are next to each other.

Is it possible to train them in the same premises and also without changing their kennels as they live now in individual kennels next to each other and to work with both the dogs – Individually without re-homing one dog? Will they actually learn this way? I know it’s very hard for them & the trainer too. I found they have no bonding with humans. Very shy, nervous & anxious. They only obey for few seconds when they are together.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Main Goal is to train them for Obedience, Protection & Breeding. I don't know why they have purchased two siblings at the same time. But for sure he wasn't aware of the Litter Mate Syndrome. They are being kept in separate kennels now but they play and eat together. They want to keep both the dogs. Now when I have aware them of the fact they want them to train, feed & exercise each dog individually but at one point of the day the dogs will interact as the kennels are next to each other.

Is it possible to train them in the same premises and also without changing their kennels as they live now in individual kennels next to each other and to work with both the dogs – Individually without re-homing one dog? Will they actually learn this way? I know it’s very hard for them & the trainer too. I found they have no bonding with humans. Very shy, nervous & anxious. They only obey for few seconds when they are together.
From what you describe I would say a rehome would be best-- if they are so focused on each other. Why do they want to breed and even then they should be screened before hand. The not bonding is not a good direction and not something I would look for in a protection dog or a breeding dog. they need to be separated for things everyday, I would not feed them together--they can eat at the same time but not in the same location (this prevents other issues)
It is possible but for the fact that they want to do specific things with the dog(s) then they have to decide if they are willing to do the work-- if not then rehome one of the dogs.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
This right here.... as sirviRavenWind put it ((( You need to create a relationship with each ))) it's great to have plans for their future but as an owner you have to put the work into them to achieve their potential... litter mate syndrome doesn't happen because you raise litter mates together ... Most I have personally raised all together with no separation in house living is 4 litter mates from birth.... No litter mate syndrome for giving the the individual training opportunities to develop as strong individuals.... Litter mate syndrome happens due to lack of development opportunities from the owners.. Kenneled raised pups/ pups left in the backyard will be the same way when not given development opportunities. Takes time to work with older pups who have not developed you have to start where your at and build a relationship and teach them how to work with you and why you have value they want to work with you. Should be done with an understanding your starting from scratch and a dog that doesn't understand working with you or what you are there for. and not take a negative view that the dog is not responding because it doesn't want to... If it helps to get them started working them together by all means do group training to start them moving and responding then try to get them responding individually to different commands.. main thing is they need time and effort spent with them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts