Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past month, my dog's been going out and eating on a fixed schedule. This has been able to be done cus my dad is on part-time retirement. i'm a college student, with classes everyday at different times, so I knew i couldnt do it alone...

However, now my dad is going to be working on a job all day (6 am-4 pm), and i'm worried he will go in his crate (which we got him away from in the first few weeks of ownership).

He's 5 months, and has only gone once during the night (7-8 hours), when we FIRST got him.

Do I have anything to fall back on, besides hope that he can do this?

He's currently been taken out every 4 hours or so...but he will be in the crate for maybe 5-6 since my dad can't take him out.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Several options....one is to have someone walk him at mid-day. The 2nd is to do away with the crate and use a confined area (bathroom or laundry room) that allows him room to relieve himself if necessary and not have to lay in it. Ideally, he would sleep the entire time and not have to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hmmm.... it would be really good if someone was able to come home mid way to let him out. Or maybe look locally for a dog walker/sitter who you can interview with references to come in and take him for a nice walk.

You say that he can hold himself for 7-8 hours during the night, but with all that sleep, i don't think he'll be able to sleep another 8-10 hours with-out waking up and doing his business in the house.

10 hours in a crate is waaaayyy to long imo to be locked up in a crate. So i would also make a small spot bathroom... or laudry room just for him.

If your someone who gets up early you could take him for a good walk 30 min maybe let him run a little off leash to explore and enjoy himself before you put him away for the day and he stays there for 10 hours... plus the walk will help him get out some energy so he can sleep more throughout the day.

Give him more interactive toys, ex: at walmart the Kong toy and fill it with the kong spray peanut butter or some tasty treats.

Best of Luck,
Eventually depending on his age he will becoming more and more used to being by himself and used to the new routine and gradually holding himself longer and longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wouldn't be in there for 10 hours, he'd only be in there for about 5 (without my dad walking him). My biggest concern is him thinking it's ok to go in the house -- he's been conditioned out of this, and he's been going outside wonderfully for the past few weeks. I'd hate to mess that up and start from square one! (He's a doxie too, and he's been doing great!)

I would love to have someone come give him a walk, but all of my friends are away at college, and since i dont work (college full-time) I can't shell out money for a walker.

And since he's only 5-months, he can SLEEP FOREVER lol I guess I will just bank on that!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: So today he was in the crate from 10:40 am (potty break before school) until 4:45 pm since my dad is now working on a job for a few weeks and can't take him out.

He only peed, which I think is HUGE for a 4-month old dachshund mini! i took him out immediately when I got home, and he peed and poo'd.

What do you guys think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts