Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is rare that I get to see dogs up close and in person with the urajiro effect.

I've been looking at the colors in Tibetan Spaniels, and have found that most all of them have an effect that is similar. I don't know if it is the same. What I have noticed, looking through pedigrees, is some seem to have lightening from the underside up, and it even goes across the back just behind the shoulders, like a cape.

This doesn't always occur in Tibbies, but most often does if both parents show a strong effect . . . . indicating to me that this trait (possibly urajiro) seems to increase in coverage if it is homozygous.

This rescue girl here is a great example as her coat is vibrant enough to show the cape on her back.

http://seattle.ebayclassifieds.com/dogs-puppies/edmonds/tibetan-spaniel-capri-small-young-female-dog/?ad=15925825

Descriptions and photos of urajiro in its classic breeds don't mention this cape, although I think I can see a hint of it in some photos.

For those of you who know or have dogs that display urajiro, especially in longer coated breeds, do any display the lighter coloring across the back like this?

----------

http://kalaharirr.tripod.com/normalcolors.html

SOB

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Chester more or less has that pattern, he has a light area that runs up his shoulders, across the withers and down his back.
A lot of my photos have him wearing his harness, but these kind of show the coloring

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Shell and Kibasdad.

Shell, I do think that on a longer furred pup the affect that Chester has would be more pronounced. Chester's coat is actually fairly uniform in color depth and the urajiro pattern is not showing on his cheeks or muzzle or much on his undersides, so it is interesting to see this pattern behind his shoulders.

The urajiro effect in Shibas seems very uniform, but like the a't' (black and tan) allele covers all the way from hound tris to the very uniform markings with just small pips over the eyes in Rotweilers, etc., seeing this non-uniform type lightening on the Tibetan Spaniel (and I've seen it in Poms as well) makes me very curious. It could be modifiers working along with urajiro, or something completely different.

I actually began to think about this after I found these photos of Samoyeds. Some of them have a lightening affect that seems to work up from the undersides, but as well from the shoulders on back, and from the insides of the haunches outwards etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040213022442/http://samoyed.com/samoyed_color.htm

At first I thought the bottom dog here was parti marked, but the more I look the more I believe his markings are a more exaggerated version of what is going on in the top dog.

I don't know if it connected to urajiro, perhaps by modifiers that exaggerate the trait. It is something that has not yet been identified or studied.

. . . . and Kibasdad, from your lower link I just noticed this photo showing some lighened fur on the sides, behind the shoulders, of this Shiba. It is definately not a cape but gives a hint that the trait might show in non-uniform ways. Thank you.

SOB

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Oh, that cute Tibbie is in my state... youre making me regret my 2-dog limit rule, spanielorbust. =P

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Do you mind if I re-copy this to a friend? She'd know better than I would. I still want to know if Summer is urajiro or something else that makes her lighter on the underside.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh, that cute Tibbie is in my state... youre making me regret my 2-dog limit rule, spanielorbust. =P
I am lusting for her as well, so I distracted myself by noticing her coat colors. :)

Do you mind if I re-copy this to a friend? She'd know better than I would. I still want to know if Summer is urajiro or something else that makes her lighter on the underside.
Not at all Laurelin. I always appreciate more input.

SOB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts