Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently switched our dog from Puppy Chow to Iams Smart Puppy. We did this very gradually over a week or so. We are also gradually decreasing the amount of canned food he gets. He seems to really like the Iams, but on Sunday morning (Saturday evening was his first all-Iams meal) he vomited a little bit. It didn't really look like dog food but I'm not sure. We were at my parents cabin and my husband had taken him walking out in the woods, so it's possible he ate something he shouldn't have. It was just a brown glob - maybe a few tablespoons - and a small amount of clear liquid (I know that's gross, sorry!). Anyway, Sunday night, maybe half an hour after he ate, he acted like he was going to vomit again, so we rushed him outside, but nothing happened. Then he was fine for the next few days, but last night about 2 hours after his dinner, the same thing happened -- some heaving, rushed outside, nothing, and the same thing first thing this morning, before he had eaten anything.

Is it possible that the Iams is not agreeing with his stomach? He has a healthy appetite and seems happy and full of energy. He had some loose stools on the Puppy Chow, but that seemed to have cleared up when we started him on Iams.

Thanks!
Stacey

·
Registered
150 Posts
It sounds like a food issue to me.. but Im no where near an expert.

The food that you switched him from was it the same kind of protein?

Like I just switched my puppy from Nutro Chicken Something (the breeder gave it to me) to Nutro Max Puppy Chow. My vet said that the transition would be easier as long as they were both chicken protein.

I've heard of some dogs acting differently to different brands of food too.. so it could be that this particular brand doesnt sit well with him.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Does he eat very quickly (inhales) his food or does he eat slowly? Sometimes if a pup eats too quickly they will vomit up some food. If this is the case than spreading his food out in a single layer so that he has to pick up small amounts instead of inhaling mouthfuls will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts