Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this question by saying my husband is calling the vet for an appointment today. I'm just curious about what to expect and a bit impatient.

This morning, our dog (standard poodle, will be 10 months on Friday) had an episode of vomiting bile. Since my understanding is that bile vomit is generally caused by an empty stomach, I cooked her some white rice and ground beef and gave her about 2/3 cup of the mixture in two doses over the course of about 2 hours (3:30-5:30). My husband just called (8:15) to say she had vomited everything back up.

She's also had an offensive odor for the past day or so - similar to the odor she had in November when she had upper respiratory & ear infections. She doesn't have any nasal discharge or drooling, which she had in November. Her ears look fine to me and I had been wiping the exterior portions with witch hazel (per our vet) about 2x a week since her November infection.

This may or may not be relevant. About 2 1/2 weeks ago she had an episode of diarrhea. We fasted her for the day, gave her rice & ground beef for a few days, and then slowly transitioned her back to her regular food, Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain. When we did that, I reduced her intake from 3 cups / day to 2 1/2 cups because she's had frequent (3-4 times / day) and occasionally formed but soft stools since we got her in October. Her stools seemed firmer, but just as frequent. Now with the morning bile vomiting, I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas what could be going on? Should we try a different food? Of course, I'll ask the vet these questions, but I'd like to go in with some idea of what could be going on.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It could be gastroenteritis or something she ate that she should not have. It also could be that she's reacting to something in the food. I'd try a food with a different protein. TOTW is a good food, so I'd get TOTW based on a different animal, like lamb or fish.

Let us know what the vet says, and don't pay too much attention to his food recommendations. Vets get the worst training when it comes to food.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be gastroenteritis or something she ate that she should not have. It also could be that she's reacting to something in the food. I'd try a food with a different protein. TOTW is a good food, so I'd get TOTW based on a different animal, like lamb or fish.

Let us know what the vet says, and don't pay too much attention to his food recommendations. Vets get the worst training when it comes to food.
Thanks Amaryllis. Your advice is always good. I can't think of anything she's gotten into, but she's quick and has a fondness for poop and dead animals (yuck!) so anything is possible.

At her age, would one of the regular formulas be ok? I know that TOTW just introduced their puppy foods, but had read here that the regular formulas didn't really change and are still ALS appropriate. And I've already turned my nose up at the vet's food recommendations :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit was 10 months old when TOTW came out with their puppy formulas. She had been eating the "Adult" (formerly ALS) High Prairie and we just kept her on it. No problems here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It might be the food if the vet finds nothing else wrong. I have two poodle mixes and I had one on TOTW (it was before we got the second). He had the same symptoms you are describing. After a lot of trial and error, we discovered he had some kind of allergy to berries or some kind of root. Lots of good quality dog food have berries and roots in them, but we were able to find a couple that don't and he hasn't had issues since. I felt bad for the little guy too because he really loved TOTW!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biscuit was 10 months old when TOTW came out with their puppy formulas. She had been eating the "Adult" (formerly ALS) High Prairie and we just kept her on it. No problems here.
Thanks!

It might be the food if the vet finds nothing else wrong. I have two poodle mixes and I had one on TOTW (it was before we got the second). He had the same symptoms you are describing. After a lot of trial and error, we discovered he had some kind of allergy to berries or some kind of root. Lots of good quality dog food have berries and roots in them, but we were able to find a couple that don't and he hasn't had issues since. I felt bad for the little guy too because he really loved TOTW!
Thanks for the info. What food do you feed? I'm not ready to go raw (and I'm not sure my husband ever would be), but a limited ingredient formula might be worth a try. I just hate to go down that road so early. Also, would an allergy or intolerance cause her intermittent soft stools? Sometimes she's fine and other times not. She did seem to improve after I reduced her intake (until this morning). I can't say I wasn't warned...

Any thoughts on Wysong? Her breeder feeds it to her dogs who won't eat raw.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When Clyde first started reacting to TOTW, he stopped wanting to eat it and he had bloody stool so he went on boiled chicken and rice immediately. The vet couldn't find anything wrong, so he took panacur for 3 days and stayed on chicken and rice until his stool firmed up. When I started introducing TOTW back gradually, the loose stool came back (worse with increasing proportion of TOTW). He didn't really improve and then get worse, but I didn't really give it chance to either. When I tried switching him around (doing it very gradually mixing with chicken and rice), as soon as the loose stool would come back, it was back to chicken and rice and off to try another type of food.

As for food that works for him now: California Natural (both regular and grain free - in many different protein flavors, even kangaroo!), Innova (his old food until our other dog got bored with it), NutriSource (grain free in either lamb or chicken - currently on the chicken) and EVO (in turkey/chicken and red meat). I'm sure there are several others, but these are the brands our local pet boutique carries and they had free samples of all of the above.

We started out with California Natural since it is such a limited ingredient food and branched out from there to determine his allergy.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When Clyde first started reacting to TOTW, he stopped wanting to eat it and he had bloody stool so he went on boiled chicken and rice immediately. The vet couldn't find anything wrong, so he took panacur for 3 days and stayed on chicken and rice until his stool firmed up. When I started introducing TOTW back gradually, the loose stool came back (worse with increasing proportion of TOTW). He didn't really improve and then get worse, but I didn't really give it chance to either. When I tried switching him around (doing it very gradually mixing with chicken and rice), as soon as the loose stool would come back, it was back to chicken and rice and off to try another type of food.

As for food that works for him now: California Natural (both regular and grain free - in many different protein flavors, even kangaroo!), Innova (his old food until our other dog got bored with it), NutriSource (grain free in either lamb or chicken - currently on the chicken) and EVO (in turkey/chicken and red meat). I'm sure there are several others, but these are the brands our local pet boutique carries and they had free samples of all of the above.

We started out with California Natural since it is such a limited ingredient food and branched out from there to determine his allergy.
Here's a real rookie question - what consistency should a dog's stool have? Except for one instance of diarrhea (pudding-like consistency), Katie's stools are formed, but some are softer than others. I can pick up the soft ones, leaving just a little behind stuck to the grass, but they're easy to squish into a blob. The firmer ones have a consistency more like play dough, they give when I press on them, but there is some resistance. Usually, she'll have softer ones if not much time has passed between BMs - they're just not sitting in her colon long enough for the water to reabsorb (if I'm remembering my biology correctly). Honestly, I never thought I'd be so interested in dog poop :)

Would an allergy cause intermittent problems? As I said, some stools are fine, others are soft. When I had food allergies, I had terrible diarrhea anytime I ate an offending food.

I'll check out the foods you mentioned if the vet can't identify a cause. We have several local pet stores with a wide selection of foods. As an aside, she came to us eating a mix of Nutro Naturals (lamb & rice formula), Pro Plan (I think shredded chicken - it is the only Purina food her breeder recommends), and Bil-Jac puppy.

Thanks for your help! We appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If her soft stools firmed up when you decreased the amount of food, I would think you might have been overfeeding a bit. That's really common.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If her soft stools firmed up when you decreased the amount of food, I would think you might have been overfeeding a bit. That's really common.
She went from 2-3 soft stools to 2-3 firmer ones, but still with at least one softer one everyday. Her vomiting bile this morning may be completely unrelated to the decrease in her food. Hopefully the vet will have some answers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll preface this question by saying my husband is calling the vet for an appointment today. I'm just curious about what to expect and a bit impatient.

This morning, our dog (standard poodle, will be 10 months on Friday) had an episode of vomiting bile. Since my understanding is that bile vomit is generally caused by an empty stomach, I cooked her some white rice and ground beef and gave her about 2/3 cup of the mixture in two doses over the course of about 2 hours (3:30-5:30). My husband just called (8:15) to say she had vomited everything back up.

She's also had an offensive odor for the past day or so - similar to the odor she had in November when she had upper respiratory & ear infections. She doesn't have any nasal discharge or drooling, which she had in November. Her ears look fine to me and I had been wiping the exterior portions with witch hazel (per our vet) about 2x a week since her November infection.

This may or may not be relevant. About 2 1/2 weeks ago she had an episode of diarrhea. We fasted her for the day, gave her rice & ground beef for a few days, and then slowly transitioned her back to her regular food, Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain. When we did that, I reduced her intake from 3 cups / day to 2 1/2 cups because she's had frequent (3-4 times / day) and occasionally formed but soft stools since we got her in October. Her stools seemed firmer, but just as frequent. Now with the morning bile vomiting, I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas what could be going on? Should we try a different food? Of course, I'll ask the vet these questions, but I'd like to go in with some idea of what could be going on.

Many thanks!
my dog had that problem last month and i am switching her food from Merrick to Nature's Variety since she seems to have allergies scratching and biting her feet sometimes,vomits bile once in the morning.they did cbc blood work and pancreatis blood test,and took a stool sample all came back normal.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Just because a dog food has a 5 star rating does not mean it is good for all dogs. Dogs have allergies. Sounds like what is in TOTW is not agreeing with your dog. Was she on TOTW back in November when she had the infections?
Try a very limited ingredient dog food. The less ingredients the better. A grain-free one if you can.No treats, no bones during this time. Slowly introduce new food. Wait a week at least before introducing another food. If any soft stools are noted than you know what to stay away from. With the ear infections and soft stools, I think you are on the right track with food allergies.

Good luck on the hunt! Sometimes I think it would be easier to find a needle in a haystack than to find exactly what our dogs are allergic to.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice. During the day two new symptoms developed - facial swelling and straining to defecate & scooting. Our regular vet left the practice and we were very disappointed with the temp. She completely ignored the swelling and insisted that the odor was from her anal glands. While both odors are equally offensive, they are not the same.

The vet diagnosed it as a possible intestinal blockage; gave her a shot of Cerenia and prescribed Sucralfate and Pepcid by mouth. I'm staying home to watch her today and take her to the e-vet if necessary. The vet was very vague about what symptoms would constitute an emergency, but if she seems the least bit in distress, we'll go. The good news is that except for being a little less animated, she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Once we get through this, we start looking for a different food.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. During the day two new symptoms developed - facial swelling and straining to defecate & scooting. Our regular vet left the practice and we were very disappointed with the temp. She completely ignored the swelling and insisted that the odor was from her anal glands. While both odors are equally offensive, they are not the same.

The vet diagnosed it as a possible intestinal blockage; gave her a shot of Cerenia and prescribed Sucralfate and Pepcid by mouth. I'm staying home to watch her today and take her to the e-vet if necessary. The vet was very vague about what symptoms would constitute an emergency, but if she seems the least bit in distress, we'll go. The good news is that except for being a little less animated, she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Once we get through this, we start looking for a different food.
did they do any x-rays or an ultrasound ?intestinal blockage is life threatening why hasn't your vet done any surgery to remove it ?I think you need to take your dog to another vet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts