Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 5 month old pup was at boarding for a week and we picked him up last Sunday and that evening started sneezing with a light green/yellow mucus discharge coming out which has continued along with general nasal discharge/stuffiness. He's fully vaccinated and is acting generally normal with slight changes. Occasionally has a hacking cough (like trying to cough up mucus) sometimes snorts like he's clearing a stuffed nose, occasional eye discharge, maybe slightest drop in energy (energetic to begin with), and less interested in kibble (wetting it or mixing with wet food and he eats it up). The vet last week thursday thought it was an upper respiratory infection, which sounds right, but she didn't want to put him on meds yet. He hasn't gotten much better nor worse in almost 2 weeks, but I'm wondering what I should expect with this type of illness in dogs. For humans I'm used to slow but steady improvement, certainly within a week or two, not sure if dogs take longer to recover. The vet said to call if no improvement by the end of this week, but I'm wondering if I should just wait a bit more. I have been walking him maybe 20-30mins once a day and he seems to do fine and enjoying it, but not sure if I should be resting him more. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,296 Posts
(I am only responding because you have taken your dog to the vet and are following up with vet care)

It's weird that your dog has not changed at all in 2 weeks. Did your vet prescribe antibiotics? 'Doggie colds' (because there are so many different bacteria viruses that cause colds in dogs, not just bordatella) are quite common and dogs usually clear up within a week, with meds. Bordatella vaccinations are hit and miss, and sometimes they don't prevent infection but reduce the severity of it (much like the flu vaccination for humans).

But with medication, dogs usually immediately start to improve within a few days and certainly within a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. No meds yet, understandable as the vet didn't want to prescribe unnecessarily in case its viral (which seems to often be the case) and have him build immunity to antibiotics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Like your vet said, if your dog is not improving by the end of this week, give her a call. Calls are free, and if your vet says wait longer, then its probably okay to wait. If you're unsure how long to be exercising or if you should be exercising at all, also call your vet and ask her.

Additionally, don't let your dog near other dogs or the other dogs might get sick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,296 Posts
Maybe I am misinterpreting something. But am I reading that your vet let your puppy go symptomatic for 2 weeks without any medication? I mean, I totally get 'wait and see' for non urgent situations and colds are common. But I really hope your vet didn't leave your puppy goopy and hacking for 2 weeks.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top