Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you guys on what the mod team (which includes myself) decided for the suggestions you guys have made:

- user reputation points have now been disabled

- looking at adding more smilies; if you know of some that are to your liking, send me a pm with a link to the site or the smiley itself

- we will not be adding any moderators at this time; we think there are more than enough right now and if the situation arises where it isn't, we will definitely revisit this

- youtube video embedding has been enabled

- I will speak to our design team about designing a new skin for the site; I'm told you guys prefer something "darker". If I'm wrong, let me know.

- organization of forums will commence (if it hasn't already)... this means creating new forums or removing some; fixing spelling mistakes

Yung

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
YAY! I think what most are interested in is more CONTRAST. For example, when I am writing this post, the buttons are tan with white text. Not so easy to read.

I look forward to the rest of the changes, sounds great!

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Yeah, I like contrast, but not darker colors, necessarily. I'm actually pretty cool with the current color scheme aside from the white text in some places. Also, I'm all for good-looking smilies, but I'm not a fan of seeing tons of animated smilies all over the forums, and I don't like it when smilies are taller than the font used in messages. I tend to use the main plain smilies if I use any at all ( :) :( :p ;) ). I hope that at least those ones are not animated and that they stay roughly that size.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I like these colors, personally. It could use contrast in some places, but I don't want darker colors. They tend to hurt my eyes. So I say, so it shall be!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I would like something slightly darker, or at least a different color. This skin is "pukey" to me. Neutral and boring.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
On one of my forums, there's a choice of 3-4 different skins for members to choose for themselves. I like that. There's no accounting for other peoples' tastes.....and this way, nobody can disagree too much. Unless they really hate all of the choices, LOL.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I like that idea, Willowy. That would please the biggest number of people, I'd imagine -- have a default skin (this current one?) and then a couple of darker, lighter, and/or alternate-color choices. Personally, I'd like to see one in this general tone but with blues or greens, I think.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I like these colors, personally. It could use contrast in some places, but I don't want darker colors. They tend to hurt my eyes. So I say, so it shall be!
I agree with Rameses here. White type on the buttons has got to go, but otherwise, this is ok. I've gotten used to the pink.

EDIT: Glad about the other changes, too. Although I will miss reading about what an idiot I am every time I go to my CP. "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble...."

·
Administrator
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When we create a new skin, we will give you an option to keep the current one. I don't think our design team will be creating more than one skin at a time but I will ask.

Yung

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
When you speak, we all bow down to the mighty RBark and Kobe...NOT. :) I don't mind the colors; the links need to be in black type instead of white.
Okay okay, I can concede to not bowing down to me. But Kobe? He's a killer Arctic Wolf, ya know. Scaaaaaaaaaaary

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Okay okay, I can concede to not bowing down to me. But Kobe? He's a killer Arctic Wolf, ya know. Scaaaaaaaaaaary
aaaaaaAAAAAAHHHHHH, Yes but he is a very discrete killer Artic Wolf and very picky upon who/whom(not sure) he delivers the death blow to. More important he is not now or never was a bully type wolf.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm not a fan of the current smilies at all...they are too hard for me to see what their faces are even doing, I need to squint/get close to see if its happy or sad or winking, or whatever.

As for the color scheme, I think it's fine. Too dark can be just as bad as too light.

There's still a dotted line around the ads at the top, and it drives me nuts, lol.

These others are things that I think would help with organization and are my personal opinion:

First time owner and Basic questions could be merged into the other groups: if you change "training" to "training and behaviors" it will cover most of the basic questions a new owners would want to know, and anything else can go into "General"

It would be nice to have certain sections grouped together...it could go under a headings to set it appart.

Example:
General Discussion: Introductions, General Dog Discussion, Pictures, Dog Sports and Activities, Dog Rescue
Dog Health and Wellbeing: Training and Behavior, Diet and Nutrition, Health, Grooming
Non-Dog Related: Off Topic (Anything Goes), Other Pets, Site Sponsors

I also think that the discriptions under the different areas are a bit too elaborate. The title of the group should say pretty clearly what is throught that link:

Introductions: New to the forum? Start a thread to introduce yourself.
General Dog Discussion: Discuss anything related to your dogs that doesn't belong in a different forum.
Training and Behavior: Advice and tips on everyday behavior
Dog Health: Medical chat and advice. Disclaimer:...

So on and so forth

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
One other thing: You know how at the bottom right of every thread page there's the "quick navigation" drop-down and then a "top" button next to it? I hate that top button. On pretty much every other forum I use, it's a "go" button, and I've gotten used to just pushing it to go back to the thread listing for that forum. I rarely have any reason to jump back to the top of a page.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yeah, I like contrast, but not darker colors, necessarily. I'm actually pretty cool with the current color scheme aside from the white text in some places. Also, I'm all for good-looking smilies, but I'm not a fan of seeing tons of animated smilies all over the forums, and I don't like it when smilies are taller than the font used in messages. I tend to use the main plain smilies if I use any at all ( :) :( :p ;) ). I hope that at least those ones are not animated and that they stay roughly that size.
I would like the smilies to all look the same too, like they're a part of a matched set. The current ones do, and so did the old ones. At least the main ones should match, if not all. This is my personal taste, but I don't favor tons and tons of smilies that were pulled from all over the internet and are a grab bag of quality. It makes it too hard to find the one that I want. And, personally, I hate animated smilies :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts