Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a bit weird, I've barely gotten any sleep since Saturday LOL. I'm a bit tired :)

Ty is amazing. He's walking right beside me to and from his little patch for his potty area. I can't take him anywhere else right now (I'll get to that). But he knows his name and comes when I call him, well at least out side LOL. He's had a few accidents in the house, but only once in his crate (the night he had the diarrhea, his first night). He's so playful and I think he's going to be best friends with one of my cats, Lucky.

Ty had his first vet visit today. I had to bring him in today, because of his cough. No surprise to me, but he does have kennel cough :( . I talked to the breeder and she has know idea where he got it from. None of her dogs have it, and she spent extra time with all the puppies to see if there was even a cough to be heard. She also emailed her puppy owners to see if their pups were coughing and got 2 or 3 replies saying that they were fine. He's on Hycodan and Clavamox for a week (5 days for the Hycodan). So hopefully by tomorrow night he'll feel a bit better.

I got blood work done, CBC full as well as a heartworm combo done. Just to make sure he's alright, and he was from the country and there were a lot of mosquitoes around as well as he had a tick on him (probably my fault, he was running around before we left trying to chase his mom and grandma). It wasn't on him long but better safe than sorry. I also gave in his Fecal, hopefully its clear!

Now for questions...Ty does great in his crate...as long as he's tired. Once he wakes up he cries and cries and cries...and Howls. Now most of the time this is because he needs to go to the bathroom, and I take him out and he goes pee and/or poo and of course wakes up. Then he doesn't want to go back in. I know it'll be a different story once he can hold his urine/poop, but am I making a big no-no by waking up to his crying, letting him out to go to the bathroom, and then letting him walk around the house for 10-20 minutes to get tired again and putting him back? He sometimes cries when I put him back in, but quiets back down in 10 minutes or so.

I just don't want him to get used to: Cry - I get out side, then I get to run around. Like tonight(well morning) he cried for 25 minutes before I let him outside to go the the bathroom.

Also is there anything that I could put on his nose to help clear it? He's all stuffed up :( . I think I'm going to go back to the vet tomorrow (I work there and yet I'm off for 2 weeks and the first two days of "holiday" I go back LOL) and get a swab of his nose done, just to make sure it is kennel cough. I was gonna do it today but the Vet said "Lets just wait a bit, see how the antibiotics works first". Made sense at the time but I'm the worse worry wart ever!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Okay, a couple of things.

With Carol if she cries in her crate (and oh how she can cry!) she gets taken out with no fussing or petting. She does her business and gets some quiet praise for that, then straight back into the crate.

If they get to stay out and play they are gonna learn that whining=attention. By taking a pup straight outside then back into the crate whining=potty time and nothing more. So yeah, I'd cut out the play time after coming back inside. I'd also make sure that you aren't giving to much attention even when going out to potty at those times.

As to the Kennel Cough, did your vet explain that Kennel Cough is a virus and therefore antibiotics don't help it? The reason antibiotics go along with Kennel Cough is because while KC is a virus it can lead to a secondary bacterial infection (ie the immune system is already working so hard to get rid of the KC it can't fight off bacteria as well). The antibiotics won't do anything to make the KC go away faster, it will prevent pneumonia from starting though.

So basically, with KC you just gotta wait it out and maybe do hycodan to help suppress the cough. There isn't anything that can be given to make it go away though. It's equivalent to a humans common cold. We can take meds to mask the symptoms but our body has to do the work to fight it off.

The third thing, when you say heartworm do you mean you got heartworm pills or the heartworm test? If you got the test, then you have been had. Heartworm takes 6 months to develop. Even if he was bit by a heartworm infected mosquito the day he was born it is literally impossible to test for it until he is 6 months old (okay, technically it's 5-7 months).

Even if it was a combo test to check for Lyme, Lyme in dogs has a 2-5 month incubation period. Again, he would pretty much had to have been infected the day he was born. Is that a possibility? Well, yeah, it could happen. It's highly unlikely though, espeically if he isn't showing symptoms like swollen joints, a fever, lethargy, etc...

I'd have a talk with your vet and see why they wanted to run the heartworm test. It just seems really off to me to bother running that on a generally healthy 8 week old pup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I figured to do with the potty breaks..I've never crate trained so that part is all new for me. I'll do it again tonight, the only problem is he's very loud when he cries. And thats a problem because if my neighbors complain, that'll be problems for us. I'll work on him though out the day and see how he does. Last night have I posted this was H*ll.

What I meant with the "I hope by tomorrow night he'll feel better" was the hycodan taking effect lol. I know all about the lovely Kennel cough *sigh* I see it every day almost.

Oh and it was the heartworm/combo test I got done. And that was more for me than anything. I wanted to get it done just to be on the safe side, same with the CBC test I've gotten done. So it wasn't really the vet, more me worrying more than I should :)

Thanks Xie for the reply :) . How is Carol doing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts