Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thought I'd give a little update on how my little guy, Bernie is doing. Plus, everyone loves puppy pictures.

Bernie is doing AWESOME. And, he is growing like crazy. When we got him, he was 8 weeks. He's now pushing 50# (will know for sure next week with his vet visit) at 20 weeks He is doing great, is good with other dogs (albeit a little skittish), and is a little ball of energy. However, I think he's taking some tips from our older dog Rufus, and he likes a lounge around ALOT.

Only complaint is the potty training. Getting a little frustrating. He will go a week between accidents, but in the past 4 days he's had an accident a day. He knows he has to pee outside, and every time I take him out he goes. But he just hasn't grasped letting us know that he needs to go out. I recently got a bell that I put by the door, so we've been trying that the past couple days do hopefully he starts to get it.

He is getting neutered sometime on the next two weeks, it'll be his early Christmas present. Vet said he is in great health, and is the perfect weight for his size. He thinks Bernie is going to be around 100lbs, so in trying to be very cautious with how much he eats. I'm erring on the side of caution, as I don't want him to get to heavy and put excess stress on his joints. Plus, I know labs are apt to never get full and eat as much as is in front of them. I walk him a minimum 4miles a day, spread out, sometimes more. Usually use half of breakfast and lunch for 10 min training sessions, plus his play time with Rufus. Dog park 2-3 times a week. He's not swimming at the park yet, but it's now to the point where it's too cold. That's number one on my agenda for spring is to get this lab in the water where he belongs!

His training is good. Graduated puppy classes at petsmart, hopefully getting him into some intermediate classes somewhere after Christmas. Got a lot of the basics down, and has real good recall. He's clingy, so if he's ever off leash while we are hiking or at the park, never goes more than 30-40ft away. I'm trying to work recall into the ground so I don't have to worry (much) when he's older and the hikes are a bit longer.

Anyways, here's the part you've been waiting for.

This is him the day we picked him up (8 weeks):

Recent pic of him and Rufus taking a nap ( about 20 weeks). This shows out big he is:

My wife came home to this the other day (all 4 animals are right near the couch)

Waiting patiently while Rufus takes take of business:

Him and his good friend, Monster, at the dog park. Monster is a Bernese Mountain Dog about a week younger than Bernie:

Here he is up close. It seems every part of him is growing but his ears! My brother and hos girlfriend think he is mixed with sonething tall and skinny, like a Doberman, because he is so tall amd slim. I don't think so, but I may be bias. All I see is a fit lab. Anybody have any opinions as to whether or not you think he's a mix?

And there it is. I'll try to add to this sometime after Christmas when he's all healed up and out playing in the snow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great pictures, was especially impressed that you managed to somehow get the camera in the first one, blew my mind!

But seriously, great shots and great dog, glad things are going well and good luck with the bathroom bell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm hoping it works. Something has got to give. Had another accident last night. That's now 5 days in a row.

All the pics were taken with my phone. Don't know why I decide to use that instead of her camera, hah.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I hate to do this to you, but, puppies don't gain full physical control of their bladders til 6 months of age, give or take. Yours is 20 weeks, 5 months, right? So, at his age, he could understand he should go outside, but he could still be learning hkw long he can hold it before it's too late. Occasionally, he may overestimate how long he can hold it, then he has the accidents. Also, at this age, he's like a human toddler. Sometimes toddlers get so involved in playing or sleeping, and forget they have to go.

Also, some things that happen in a puppy's development can cause setbacks in potty training, such as teething, a fear stage, or even changes in his (or your) routine or environment. Even something as simple as rearranging or getting new furniture can cause setbacks.

The bottom line is, a five month old pup still needs you to get him out on time. He's still young enough to get distracted, and have accidents. Don't rely on him to tell you. And, by the way, some adult dogs don't even tell their owners they need to go.

·
Registered
246 Posts
He does look pretty labby, but his ears sit kinda funny for a lab, don't they? My boy looks all lab too, but his brother's a pretty obvious mix (probably GSD), so I'm assuming I have a labXGSD. You have a beautiful dog, whatever he is :)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Re: Potty training, I always let my dogs out on schedule. Even Cadence, who's 2.5. I don't wait for him to tell me that he needs to go. I just keep track of how many hours it's been since he was let out.

My pup Lyra (7 months old) was accident free for 3 weeks, and then a couple of days ago she had an accident--she was drinking too much water that day and I didn't notice, so it was totally my fault. Right now I let her out about every 3 hours if I'm home. When I'm at work she gets let out by my neighbour during lunch.

Thing is, it's always better just to stick to a schedule than to expect the dog to tell you. That way, they can anticipate when you'll let them out. Sometimes they never learn how to let you know anyway (like Cadence). He's really good about holding it till he gets let out though, which is anything from 5-7 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts