Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you wanted to know if this person that I mentioned ended up adopting the pit bull (three children three and under). Some of you wanted me to call the shelter and tell them about their situation.

Well no need. She found out that the pit bull bit a six year old in the face. Now she was headed to another place today to get a lapadoodle or something like that (fifteen pound dog). Well get this - they already have two pit bull dogs over a hundred pounds each. Oh my gosh. I would hate to rent from this group.

·
Registered
760 Posts
so the shelter is trying to adopt out a "pit bull" that has already bit one child. and already has 2 hunderd pound "pit bulls" already and getting another mutt. So much wrong with this story.............

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I didnt say I wouldn't take the dog just want to know what SHELTER would adopt a "pit bull" out that has bitten a child is all.
Lol, the comment wasn't aimed at you or anything. I agree that most shelters wouldn't keep a 'biter'. That's why I love taking them and 'fixing them'. Giving them a new life when most shelters won't take them over such a little problem.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Pit Bulls over a hundred pounds. Hmmm ok.

I really don't see it as much better that they want the small poodle mix either.

I hope they are extremely careful in adopting that dog out. We don't need anymore man biting Pits in the hands of people like the ones you're talking about.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I just can't believe these people.

Me either! It sounds like a bunch of crap if you ask me. There shouldn't be any such thing as a Pit bull over a hundred pounds. I feel sorry for any animal in the hands of people like those you mentioned.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How big are pits suppose to get? I am wondering if I misunderstood her but she did say something about the blue color (the pit she almost got). Why in the world would you need a third dog, three young children, renting, not always able to pay bills, etc.?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I can think of a way to bring the subject up tomorrow. It does sound a little strange. She did make a comment about the fifteen pounder would be their dinner or something like that. Teasing.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
a 100lbs pitbull? Must be very very overweight.
There are pits that get 100+ pounds, they are just extremely badly bred.

Blue is now pushing 100 pounds, and he's a pit bull. He's currently a little over 90 and gaining. But he's not overweight. Just tall, and very badly bred.

To the OP, glad they didn't get the dog. They sound like idiots, and I feel sorry for the dogs that they already own.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
How big are pits suppose to get? I am wondering if I misunderstood her but she did say something about the blue color (the pit she almost got). Why in the world would you need a third dog, three young children, renting, not always able to pay bills, etc.?
Desirable weight for APBT
males is 35-60lbs
females 30-50lbs
Proportions and balance are most important, more important then actual weight. It'd be hard to believe a dog over 100lbs is going to be appropriately balanced (if it were even pure bred).

I did see the one that bit the kid that was a blue brindle if I remember. They are getting (or already got?) a different blue?

Pits are traditionally between 45-60 lbs... But I'll won't steal Spicy's thunder, and I'll let her explain.
LOL steal away

There are pits that get 100+ pounds, they are just extremely badly bred.

Blue is now pushing 100 pounds, and he's a pit bull. He's currently a little over 90 and gaining. But he's not overweight. Just tall, and very badly bred.

To the OP, glad they didn't get the dog. They sound like idiots, and I feel sorry for the dogs that they already own.
When they said pit bull I assumed pure. Blue to my understanding is a rescue never proven to be pure bred APBT (or AST, SBT). I saw today a "warlock" (Rott/Pit mix) which looked like pure Pits can and do look. I've seen many known bandogs which could be mistaken as a large APBT. Some of them are not even bandogs made with any APBT percentage. A true pit bull over 100lbs that would have to be a rarity indeed. What would you say Blue's weight should be. I thought last he was around 85lbs or was he under weight then? Hope I made sense.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yep, he's a rescue. But as far as we know, he's a pit bull. Could be mixed, or could just be badly bred. I've seen quite a few gigantic, badly bred pit bulls. No telling if they were mixed, or with what.

And he was 85lbs, but he's still gaining. He's now 91. We have no specific goal for him, but the vet wants him 110. The vet said in his young days, he was a healthy, meaty 130, back when he was around 6 years old.

So yeah, he's 91, with a vet goal of 110. :D

When we took him in a year ago, he was 61 pounds with ribs and hip bones protruding. We've struggled for a year just to get his weight up, and finally have him looking healthy without people asking why he looked anorexic.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well, that's the vet's goal, not mine. Then again, it was his dog for 10 years, so he knows what Blue looked like in his younger days, and what would be a good weight, ect.

However, I can't say that I'll let him get to 110. That sounds a bit high to me as well. I may level off close to the weight he's at now, and probably won't let him go over 100.

And that pic right there... I can't remember, but that pic isn't too old. He's probably around 85 there.

So yeah, I'll probably leave him around the weight he's at now, give or take a few pounds, since he looks good to me.

Blue's a diff. case though. The vet WANTS him to have extra weight on him because of his mouth, and the special eating accomodations for him. The vet has said before, if Blue were to get sick and quit eating, he wants him to have a bit of "extra meat" on his bones to compensate. Because unlike other dogs, you can't hand feed or syringe feed him if he was to ever get sick and require it. So I do see the vet's thinking on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts