Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with all things, we learn from our stupid mistakes. I figured using NILIF it would be safe to allow Ida on the bed with me if I made her work for it; WRONG. Yesterday I posted because I got a little nervous about some growling issues with my new Great Pyrenees girl and got a lot of varied responses from different people. I also posted on a GP forum so I could get some answers from those who have experience with the breed. The answers were much different then what I received here.

I've made some changes based on responses here and there as well. Today was much different, no growling an no issues up until, you guessed it - She got on the bed. Everything changed, she became possessive over the space and growled when other animals got close or people "invaded HER" space. Nope...Off the bed she went and she will not be allowed back on it until she realizes this is NOT acceptable behavior. The problem I'm running into however is if NILIF won't solve this problem....should I just never allow her on a bed again? That seems a little harsh.

for now I've been keeping her crate open and she goes to it when she has had enough of the noise or things going on around her. I like this. This is good. She really is a good girl and I'd like to allow her to visit us on the bed when we're just lazing about but....the question is how?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't let him on the bed. If I were me, I would let him on the bed only after I'm positive that the dog is now 100% relaxed in the house and doesn't worry about protecting things and territory from imaginary enemies. But then I already have experience and I spent massive amount of time getting informed. Some dogs are more assertive than others and if you can't manage it then don't push it for the time being. The NILIF concept is easy for dogs to understand and lets you use otherwise unproductive energy but it doesn't really help build relationship with the dog. I wouldn't exactly feel safe either, sleeping with an anxious dog who may go all Rambo on me at any given moment... As I said don't push it. When she acts stupid, growling, trying to bite etc. you have to show no emotions, no nothing - just remain calm, freaking out is a mighty good enforcer of aggression so make sure she doesn't get you by surprise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
At this point, when she growls I remove her from the situation and put her in her crate because it's her relaxing area and has seemed to become something positive for her. She uses her crate as an escape when she's feeling overwhelmed which is from what I've researched, a good thing. (She is the first dog I've ever attempted crate training with.)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She's resource guarding the bed. We have a sticky or two on resource guarding, it absolutely can be dealt with. For right now, though, I wouldn't let her sleep on the bed. That just sounds like a great way to get bit when you roll over in the middle of the night and set her off.

I'm hesitant towards your way of dealing with growling. If she perceives that as punishment, which she might, you'll be training her out of growling, which is really, really bad. Growling is the warning before biting, if you remove growling, you go from nothing to biting. Plus, simply removing her from the situation doesn't really deal with the underlying emotional state causing the growling. Sure, she's calming down in the crate, but she's not calming down in the situation, so when it comes up again, she's still growling.

Allow me to give you a human example: I'm terrified of the dentist. So, leaving the dentist's office does calm me down, but it doesn't help at all with how I feel at the dentist. I could go in an leave 1,000 times, but that won't help me sit my butt in the chair and let the dentist stick a drill in my mouth.

Look up the sticky on resource guarding. That might give you some important insight on the growling issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts