Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I havent been around for awhile.

If you remember, I've been raising ET, a yellow female lab, for Guide Dogs of the Desert (GDD) for the last year+. I've been working hard with her and she's doing pretty well.

GDD had me bring her in the other day for some health and temperment testing. All of the results were excellant! So excellant in fact, that they want to put her into their breeding program :(. She probably wont be a guide dog. I'm bummed. They're happy. Their standards for their dogs in the breeding program are very high and they're excited about her. She'll need more testing of course, later on, when she's older. I was told to continue with my training; if she fails any of the further testing, she might still be used as a guide.

Anyhow. Bummer for me. I'll be asking them for another puppy to raise soon after ET leaves. I refuse to quit until I've raised at least one guide dog!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marsha :) I do love doing it, but was tossing around the idea of getting involved in a different organization that has a higher success rate, like mobility assistance or hearing dogs or something. It's a serious bummer to put so much into a dog and have them not make it. Though being a breeder is something to be proud of, even though I had nothing to do with her physically :/ Anyhow, I wont leave GDD's until I've had at least one success for them. I see myself always raising puppies for someone, be it GDD's or a different org. I really like doing it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I wondered what happened to you? Now I see. I hope all goes well for you and your trainee. You must be good at what you do. Never give up on that! :) I hope you do have at least one success. It must be your calling. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What do they do with their breeding dogs? Do they live in kennels or do they have them in foster homes? It would be fun to foster a guide dog breeding girl :D. Yay puppies! (For reals). Lots of hard work, but fun.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaaw, I didnt know I was missed :)
Dogdragoness, I havent gotten a return date yet, but I'll probably have her for a few months, maybe less. They dont have a specific age at which they call the dogs back in, it depends largely on their trainers schedules. They stagger it, so they dont have too many dogs all at once.
They try to find foster homes for the breeders, Willowy. Otherwise, they live in the kennel, which isnt bad. There are grassy play areas and they get lots of interaction with people and other dogs. It's a friendly place. A foster home will return her to the kennel for AI and the pregnancy and puppy process though. I would LOVE to have the puppies here in my home, but that cant happen.
I let them know I wont be keeping her. As much as I wish I could, I cant keep every dog I raise that doesnt make it. I'd have too many. 3 at a time is my hubby's limit and I already have 2 of my own, so if I plan on raising another, which I do, she'll have to go back. Yes, I'm sad, but it's ok :)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update, my director emailed me and asked if I would keep ET until the spring, maybe into May, so that she'll be old enough for further testing. Of course I said I will. They'll re-do the xrays and other health tests at that time and do more temperment testing. So, I dont need to worry about being sad for awhile :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts