Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

update on Dakota's limping

992 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dakotajo 
#1 ·
I got her into the vet today, he did a good hands on feel of her hips and legs[he's been there for years] and he's sure or pretty sure she has a Cruciated Ligament:( I guess this is quite a common problem in large boisterous pups. He asked if she ever slipped on the ice.....Oh ya!! She's crazy. I guess it sometimes can heal on it's own but might need surgery down the line. He gave me some pills to give her for two weeks and then take her back in, other than that she's has a good stance, nicely built, good weight at 70 lbs. Anyone here have a dog that has/had this problem??

#2 ·
I've had 2. (And it's the "Cruciate Ligament"...Not cruciated. If you search on here for ACL you should find a bunch of stuff.) (Not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but figured if you were searching for info, more stuff might come up.)

Both dogs had surgery (as they both were bad, and wouldn't put weight on the leg. One did great, and was walking with just a limp in a couple weeks then healed completely. The other was a wimp and refused to put weight on it, so he blew the other one in the other leg out. Vet said no surgery so he always walked with a limp and later developed arthritis.

It's pretty important while you are trying to let it heal to keep them quiet.

#3 ·
thanks for that correction:D I just talked or should I say chatted with a lady that her dog had it in the one leg and now since putting her weight so much on the other leg it to is showing signs. My pup is so hyper that she can even find something to bounce around at in just the kitchen and her being so young is worrying me. I know this breed isn't the healthiest but I hope it stops here :eek:

#4 · (Edited)
Zora is having the ACL surgery done on monday. The vet said she did not put any weight on her leg of a while before she sarted limping because her muscle in that leg were atrophied. We only noticed when she started limping and thats probably when the arthritis kicked in.:(

The vet did not suggest to wait even if the ligament is not completetly torn because she a very energetic young dog (not even 1 1/2 years old) and it would be practicaly impossible to keep her from running and playing so she would heal properly. Also he said that even if she healed, arthristis would still be a problem and that since she would use the other leg more her garantied in a year or so the other leg would have a torn ACL to.

So I decide to do it sooner than later... Hope everything goes well:eek:

I know this breed isn't the healthiest but I hope it stops here :eek:
What breed is your dog? Mine's a Am. bulldog... they have 30% chance of torn ACL, 3rd breed after Rotties and Labradors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.