Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have great news, the mother (Alaskan Husky) only had two puppies!! I don't know why but this is great, I am going to try and talk my husband into keeping both babies. Going to possibly have pictures by next week. I have been told they are little puff balls at the moment. I love long hair!!!:clap2:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Cuuuuuute!! I cannot wait for pics!

Edit: I am also very glad there were only 2 pups! If you plan on keeping both you should do some reading about raising littermates together. :)

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly didn't even think of that, is that something that is good for dogs? I havent had two from the same litter before. But my lab and my sisters terrier grew up together and when my lab died the terrier was heart broken. She actually died exactly one year later. They were best friends to the end. Is the bond stronger with litter mates? You know what I will do. Some research thanks sibe.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep look up litter mate syndrome. Raising two puppies together is much more than 2x the work of one puppy and you need to make sure the bond more with you than with each other.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never knew this could happen, when we got dixie and skittles they were both 6 wks old and had an incredible bond but they had bonds with us as well. Going to keep researching this

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Usually there is no issue but it's important to know that they *can* bond closer to each other. They have each other, you, and also your husband to bond with. It's also important that they get plenty of time apart from each other. One-on-one time is crucial. They need to be emotionally ok when separated and they also need to bond with both you and your husband. A good way would be like having both in puppy class but on different days. Or taking them for walks individually, you can have one and walk one way while your husband walks one in the opposite direction, then the next walk switch who has which dog. Things like that.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Be sure to keep them apart for a certain amount of time each day so they learn to be okay with it. I've heard horror stories of dogs raised together (not necessarily littermates, just raised together from a young age) and when they had to be separated due to illness, injury, or just for grooming, they went ballistic and seriously hurt themselves.

It's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If he tries to get rid of both puppies before 8 weeks, you could take both so they get that critical time together, then adopt one out after 8 weeks. Both puppies would be better off that way, and it would save you a TON of trouble.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adopt one out after 8 weeks. Both puppies would be better off that way, and it would save you a TON of trouble.
yes this is what we have decided to do. I would love to keep them together just because there is only the two of them but we have agreed to take both puppies when he is ready to get rid of them and rehome one of them when its time. Not going to charge any fees or anything like that just going to screen the people so I know it will go to a good home.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
yes this is what we have decided to do. I would love to keep them together just because there is only the two of them but we have agreed to take both puppies when he is ready to get rid of them and rehome one of them when its time. Not going to charge any fees or anything like that just going to screen the people so I know it will go to a good home.
It would be nice to know who the other one goes to too, so maybe it can still come and play with its sibling! I wish I knew where Hamiton's siblings ended up. It would also give you some time to figure out which pup had the temperament that would best fit with your family.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts