Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all-

Just wanted to let you know biscuit has been going GREAT. HE has taken to the family really well and has REALLY bonded with my son who was the reason we got him to begin with so that has been great to see.

He has had 2 accidents in the house. Other than that he either uses the pee pad if it is raining out and way to cold for him. The first accident was totally my fault because I was cleaning and lost track and wasnt watching him at that moment as I was scrubbing out the stove. So he peed on my tile. The other one though I have a question about.

Today I took him outside after he had been in his crate for 1 hour. (Currently trying to get him use to crate) and he peed. I gave him a treat and said good boy and way to go potty.

Then we come inside and he starts walk around my living room and I figure he is exploring becaues he doesnt "roam" much. He usually has to be right at my feet or someone else's feet or in his bed sleeping. So I thought ok he is getting braver. Well.....off he goes to poop on my carpet 5 minutes after we came in from the outside pottying.

Do I need to have him stay outside a few minutes longer? How can I tell when he needs to poop? I have noticed he only poops one time a day currently but that could also be because he still is not eating at every sitting (I put out his food 3 times a day per vet suggestion).

I am only doing postive reinforcement with Biscuit so I just cleaned it up and let it go. But still wondering if I should at each outside potty visit leave him out longer. The vet had told me to right now take him out and say go potty- say nothing else until he potties then give him a treat to reinforce the good potty and then bring him back in. That way right now he is not associating playing instead of potty time.

Is that what you recommend? Remember I am new to all this.

I have also gotten him clean and got that awful pee smell out of his fur thank goodness. He is the most cuddly dog and just loves to lay in bed with my son and watch tv which is super cute. He knows the command sit, he knows when to eat and is learning to get in his bed at dinner time. He is really a super smart dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm so glad biscuit is working out so well!

Once a day pooping isn't bad if you're feeding a good food. Foods like Purina and Beneful will cause pooping 3 or 4 times a day because they're full of fillers dogs can't digest, so it just comes right back out.

You'll learn what needs to poop looks like. I'd say that if he's pooping inside at a consistent time, say every night between 5 and 7, then yes, keep him out longer during the 4:30 potty session. If it's just an occasional accident at random, that's puppies for you. It's also a good idea to separate play time from potty time, otherwise no pottying gets done and the dog will constantly signal "hey, I need to pee!" in order to go outside and play.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
First: My dog is named Biscuit too! Biscuits are the best!

Second: Keep a close eye on him and just don't let him wander off in the house. You can even keep him on leash in the house, just until he gets the memo about outdoor pooping. If he starts sniffing and circling, even for a second, take him out. If you think it's about time for him to go, take him out. Also, I agree with what your vet said, but I would add that some dogs need a little walking to "get things moving" so you could try a stroll around the block. I know it's hard to balance that with "potty time is not fun time," but it will happen eventually. The best thing is to get him on regular schedule, and it sounds like you're on your way to that, so keep it up!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You mentioned that you thought he was roaming because maybe he was getting a bit braver. I wouldn't let him roam until he's potty trained. Have him in your sight at all times, unless he's in the crate.

I usually stay out a few minutes after they pee, just in case they need to pee again, or poop. Some puppies do a "double pee," it's actually pretty common. Puppies aren't really good at emptying their bladders all the way the first time, so sometimes they pee, and then a few minutes later they pee again. Or, they may poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts