Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, a full update on my little one. She's still not out of the woods, but we just got home. She got so worked up when I tried to leave, that her vet and I decided since her heart and BP are stable right now, the stress of being separated from me would be worse for her then the risk of taking her home and running into complications. Stress isn't good for any dog, especially one already so compromised - But add a dog that has Addisons, and stress can be your worst enemy! Her heart was our biggest worry! Since that seams to be fine, if she crashes or starts going downhill, I can handle pretty much anything else with the big bag full of emergency meds Dr Pam sent home until I can get her back to the vet. I'm a trained and licensed vet tech even though I choose to no longer practice that profession - But it sure comes in handy when Aiyana's this sick!

She's pretty uncomfortable right now, she's not eating or drinking yet, but she's still got her IV catheter in to make it easy to give her fluids or emergency drugs if needed, and her vet is only a phone call away. We're keeping her on IV fluids to maintain her hydration until she's drinking on her own. I have her vet's cell and house numbers if anything goes wrong. We both feel like the chances of her having a nasty complication are alot higher if she's stressing out at the clinic and with Dr Pam then if she's relaxing at home with me. What can I say, she's a momma's girl, loves her momma almost as much as I love her!

It's still going to be a bit touchy for the next couple days, especially while we get the infection under control, but her vet and I both are feeling so much better now that the surgery is over and she did this well through it! Her liver function is a big concern, and a good part of what we've really got to watch right now. The compromised liver is going to make it harder to get her eating again!

Recovery was very scary, for a while we where afraid she was going to crash, but thankfully despite a very lengthy recovery and a few scary moments she never did crash! It took her over an hour to really wake up, a normal dog it would have taken maybe 10 - 15 minutes at most. Alot of that was probably also due to her liver not being as efficient as it should be. Even now she's shaky and unsteady on her feet about 7 hrs after coming out of surgery, but all things considered - We're very pleased with how she's dong! I'll race back there if I suspect any problems starting, but mostly I think it's just a matter of supporting her, making sure her vitals stay stable, and trying to get some proteins and nutrition into her as soon as I can!

Going to be a rocky couple days, but I feel SO much better now that I think the worst of it is behind us! Will be keeping in very close contact with my vet especially if anything changes, but I feel alot more confident that she's going to be ok now, and hopefully better once she's recovered and we no longer have all those women hormones complicating her other health problems!

I'm attaching a few pictures - For those that aren't sure if homeopathy works or not, Aiyana's a very good example! Aiyana's lymph nodes in her neck got HUGE from all the infection! The pictures will show you they're pretty big but they don't even really show how bad it truly was! They where a good 4-5 times normal size! Aiyana already gets Prednisolone for her Addisons, and she gets ulcers if we boost her pred very much. So options to reduce the swelling where kind of limited. My vet is very good at using a mix of homeopathy and traditional medications. We gave her Australian Bush Flower Essences Emergency (similar to rescue remedy, but, in my experience, more affective!), and a couple different homeopathic remedies, and within 3 hrs, her lymph nodes had returned to normal size - Now the antibiotics and just getting that massively infected uterus out of her also helped as they no longer had to fight the infection so hard but my vet even shocked herself! She said she's never seen lymph nodes that enlarged reduce that quickly! I may not understand all the reasons homeopathy works, but her vet and I both feel that using some homeopathy with her really played a big part in her doing as well as she did through this!

I'll keep everyone updated, but I truly think the worst is now behind us, and she's doing a bit better then expected at this point!

IMG_3438[3].jpg
Not sure why this came in sideways, but this kind of shows how enlarged her lymph nodes where!
IMG_3429[1].jpg
A better shot of the enlarged lymph node on one side
IMG_3424[1].jpg
Not the clearest shot - But this really shows how bad the swelling was!
IMG_3435[2].jpg
Another good shot of the massive swelling
IMG_3441[1].jpg
Aiyana finally coming around under the "bair hugger", a device they use at this clinic to blow hot air around the dog to help get their body temp up after surgery
IMG_3449[2].jpg
Last but not least, Aiyana chilling on her pile of blankets once we got home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gar, somehow the pictures came out sideways - Not sure how to fix that but at least you get the idea!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
So glad to hear you guys are out of the deepest neck of the woods! I'm sending good vibes to Aiyana in hope of a speedy recovery! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Canyx! She's still really wobbly and shaky tonight, her vet and I think it's still just after affects of the anesthesia, the sugar in her IV fluids should keep her blood sugar from getting to low but we're probably going to do a glucose and total protein check on her tomorrow just to be sure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really glad I have such a great vet! Closed pyometra can be difficult to diagnose, as sick as Aiyana already was another day could have easily been the difference between life and death! As big as her uterus was, my vet was saying if we had even waited until that afternoon it would have likely ruptured and her chances would have been pretty slim. She's trying to eat this morning but just a couple nibbles is all she could handle. But she's trying and that's what matters! Small amounts through the day will keep her going!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm so glad to hear she's doing okay. Even though she's recovering from major surgery, I must say she still manages to pull off the princess look quite well!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Awesome news, so glad to hear she made it through the surgery!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so glad to hear she's doing okay. Even though she's recovering from major surgery, I must say she still manages to pull off the princess look quite well!
No matter how sick she gets, she somehow always seems to manage to maintain the princess diva look quite well!!!

I apologize to everyone, and want to thank all of you who have shown so much concern for my sweet Aiyana! Sorry I haven't updated yet today, Aiyana's catheter blew during the night last night, where she'd gotten plenty of fluids through the day yesterday we thought we'd be ok, so her vet told me to just watch her close and call her if she wasn't drinking on her own by this afternoon. Well, bad turned to worse when she started vomiting and shaking really bad, I rushed her back to her vet, by the time we got there her temp was pretty low (96.9) and she was clearly dehydrated. The vet had to warm up fluids and do both sub q and IV to get her rehydrated again. Her protein levels are a bit lower then they where, but once my vet got her warmed back up and hydrated, she finally managed to get Aiyana to accept a little canned tripe. SCARY stuff! Got a new catheter in place, and watching her like a hawk, not sure what caused the vomiting, but my vet thinks that just getting a little dehydrated set her off enough with her Addisons that's probably what started the vomiting since she hasn't vomited since we got her rehydrated and back on fluids. Guess the universe wanted to show me we're far from out of the woods yet :( We just got back home with a very tired little dog and a stressed out momma! Now that we've finally gotten her to eat something and she's back on fluids, she should be OK for the rest of the night so I'm grabbing myself a big glass of wine to unwind and taking it easy for the rest of the night!!! I never want another scary run like that!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
she should be OK for the rest of the night so I'm grabbing myself a big glass of wine to unwind and taking it easy for the rest of the night!!! I never want another scary run like that!
Oh geez! What a scare! Please do take it easy and let us know how Aiyana progresses!
Thinking of the two of you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh geez! What a scare! Please do take it easy and let us know how Aiyana progresses!
Thinking of the two of you.
Thanks Canyx, I'm still trying to come down off that adrenalin rush! That was pretty scary - I very seldom drink, but when you need a glass, you need a glass! She's once again resting comfortably right next to me, but I'm sure not taking anything for granted again, I thought we where pretty much out of danger - But obviously not!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm grabbing myself a big glass of wine to unwind and taking it easy for the rest of the night!!! I never want another scary run like that!
I think you even deserve two big glasses of wine for what you've been through! Wow. That sounds like quite an ordeal, and I'm glad she's doing better now. Here's to hoping things settle down a bit over there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts