Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, so my pup is now 1 day away from being 3 months old.

Here are some photos when he was 11 weeks

http://imgur.com/a/rzllY

He weights about 30 lbs

Pictures were taken about a week ago and that tail has really grown even more, it has an insane curve to it and it's always curved towards hes body.

Also he seems to have very long legs and he runs funny, he's back legs seem to be hindering invards. He has a vet appoitment today, i'm affraid of ip dysplasia.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
TMs are a pretty rare breed, and depending on where you live, I can't imagine them contributing much to the shelter population.

Also, if he's 30 lbs at 3 months, then that's on the smaller side for a TM. He could be TM mix and taking after the smaller parent, of course.

Honestly, you should probably hope he's not part TM. Irresponsibly bred TMs can have a variety of genetic problems and behavioral issues, including human aggression. They're a LGD breed and are renowned for their stubbornness, difficulty to train and are not recommended for anyone but the most experienced of giant breed owners.

I'd recommend you start socializing him heavily (if you aren't already) so as to increase his exposure to people, animals, sights, sounds, smells and a variety of environments. I'd also recommend a positive training puppy class for you so that you can start the foundations of positive training while he is young (if you haven't taken one already).

No matter what he is, he's a very cute puppy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mother was a yellow coated, big(ish) size dog. I'm thinking a shepherd/lab mix, but who knows what else she has in her.

Puppy classes start in late spring, meanwhile i've been bringing him to my grandparents house every other day. They have 3 dogs in there, although they are not young, but hopefully it helps a bit. Usually when they greet my pup he lays down and shows belly to them. Not sure what that means, maybe shows respect or just wants to play.

He Doesn't have the fur that tibetans have, but look at that tail. Also i found one picture that looks awfully similar to my puppy and this is a 3 months old TM. Here

I'm guessing he is probably going to look something like that.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
His face has changed a lot since your first thread, definitely could see the possibility at this point. Thanks for updating, usually people never come back and we're left hanging. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Aww, he's a cutie! He does look like a Tibetan Mastiff puppy, but, as was mentioned, TMs are very rare in the US. So unless you live somewhere closer to Tibet :D, it's more likely that he's Rottweiler mixed with something longhaired, maybe Golden Retriever or similar. He seems to be about the right weight for a Rott pup.

Undocked Rotts' tails usually curl at the ends. It's not a tight curl like a spitz breed but there is a curve.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Aww, he's a cutie! He does look like a Tibetan Mastiff puppy, but, as was mentioned, TMs are very rare in the US. So unless you live somewhere closer to Tibet :D, it's more likely that he's Rottweiler mixed with something longhaired, maybe Golden Retriever or similar. He seems to be about the right weight for a Rott pup.

Undocked Rotts' tails usually curl at the ends. It's not a tight curl like a spitz breed but there is a curve.
Wow, I didn't know that! And after a Google search, yup!:

That looks so strange!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I believe in the OP's original post about this puppy they addressed the "TMs are rare" issue.
Yeah, I just looked up their past posts. . .

Well, if TMs are more common in your area than Rottweilers, he stands a good chance of being part TM. But wow, if that were an American pup I'd definitely guess Rott/Golden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, sassafras thanks, i'll probably update it again when he reaches 5 months of age.

I've also looked at rott pictures and there is indeed a good similarity in there, which i also said in last post. And uncut tail looks really beautifu.

So far almost everyone who has seen my dog in real life has said that this is a rott mix. Until a week ago i met an elderly who came to my dog and said "My grandson has a dog lke that" and showed me a picture of a TM. I said, funny you are the first one to say that he is a TM. "Oh, he may not grow as big but a tail like that don't lie"

Thanks, guess i'll see you guys in 2 months. Oh and 3 extra pictures that were taken a few minutes ago. Rocco says goodbye

Don't bother me, Alright you got me up, [URL="http://i.imgsafe.org/b2a9169.jpg"]so where's the ball?
[/URL]

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
There is a long coat gene in Rottweilers. Coated Rottweilers are pretty fluffy looking as puppies and keep that longer fur into adulthood.

But the long coat is considered a serious fault in the Rottweiler breed standard. Breeders can now test their dogs if they carry the long coat gene and make breeding choices accordingly.

I also think your pup is a rottweiler mix.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I really don't see TM in there. I definitely see rotti, which would be great, because rottis are way easier than TMs.

I know it's a fault, Mrsboats, but I would take a long-haired rotti in a heartbeat! So pretty!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I really don't see TM in there. I definitely see rotti, which would be great, because rottis are way easier than TMs.

I know it's a fault, Mrsboats, but I would take a long-haired rotti in a heartbeat! So pretty!
That rott LH picture is beautiful I love LH GSD's too even though it is a fault.. My friend had her heart set on a TM until the breeder explained the dog should never be off leash "ever" off a properly fenced in yard... it was a deal breaker for the liability of the breed..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Just out of curiousity, where are you located Boney??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts