Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to his so hopefully you can help me out.
I have had several dogs but have been extremely blessed to have them house train very quickly. I just adopted a Jack Russell Chi mix who is only 4mo old (also the youngest puppy I've ever adopted).
Here is the oddity - she is doing really well downstairs on the hard surfaces. She goes to the door and whines or scratches (trying to work on the bell thing - but she's scared of it). Every time I let her upstairs (on the carpet) she pees and/or poops...almost EVERYTIME!! Even if she just came in from outside ?!?!?! Usually it is gated off. And she has only gradually been offered a bigger and bigger section of the down stairs to roam as she does better and better but she can't get on the carpet without elimimnating - it's very weird....she goes to the crate each time for her 30 min time out(just like we did for downstairs) but she is not "getting it". Any suggestions to resolve this?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm also quite new, but my dogs really prefer certain surfaces for pooping. For example, they know there is sand in this one area and will sometimes give a second #2 a try when we get there if they didn't hold it.

Maybe she just loves the carpet for doing her business? She might also need more time outside- sometimes my dogs poop 2 or 3 times on a walk. (Why? lol)

I would suggest tethering her to you when you're home and crating her when you're away for a while. Sort of like going back to Potty Training 101.

I would stop the 'punishment' as it's probably not helping anyway.

Hello - I'm new to his so hopefully you can help me out.
I have had several dogs but have been extremely blessed to have them house train very quickly. I just adopted a Jack Russell Chi mix who is only 4mo old (also the youngest puppy I've ever adopted).
Here is the oddity - she is doing really well downstairs on the hard surfaces. She goes to the door and whines or scratches (trying to work on the bell thing - but she's scared of it). Every time I let her upstairs (on the carpet) she pees and/or poops...almost EVERYTIME!! Even if she just came in from outside ?!?!?! Usually it is gated off. And she has only gradually been offered a bigger and bigger section of the down stairs to roam as she does better and better but she can't get on the carpet without elimimnating - it's very weird....she goes to the crate each time for her 30 min time out(just like we did for downstairs) but she is not "getting it". Any suggestions to resolve this?

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I have found through trial and error that puppies love soft surfaces for a potty area.:)

Being only 4 months old I would say she is doing fairly well! Puppies mostly do not physically realize that feeling until about 6 months of age or so. Right now she just knows something is coming out from somewhere ... and then it is OOPs!

It is good that she is using the door as a signal! That is great! I would however ... if you have a small puppy proofed bathroom or any room that is safe ... use that for a couple minute time out instead of the crate. I say this for a couple reasons ... one a long 30 minute stretch to a dog is really no different than a couple minutes ... they do not understand time ... and by the time you release them they will have forgotten what they were put in there for in the first place ... and just this ...

The crate may need to be used for emergencies in the future. You never know when you might need to crate your dog(s) because of a fire, flood, travel .... natural disasters ... etc.

Of course this all depends on how you feel about using crates.

Crates when used as a tool and everything that happens in them should be a positive experience for the dog(s). All good things should happen in a crate. They are also great safe places ... a den of sorts ... where your dog can go to feel secure. :) If a crate is used as a punishment tool your dog may not want to use it in time(s) of real need.

This is just my opinion though ... through my new found crating experience(s). Crating for me is in it's infant stage. Lol! I used to use cardboard boxes a million years ago! Lol! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, the point of training a dog is not to have a command/control relationship with my dog, and not to teach my dog a repertoire of tricks for my next vaudeville act. In my book, a “trained” dog is a dog whose world naturally revolves around me, who will come when I call no matter WHAT the distraction is (another dog, a car, a moose), who is emotionally healthy in their interaction with other beings (i.e. not aggressive, not hyper, just relaxed), and who otherwise stays out of trouble, while feeling free to have fun and interact with the world.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's not unusual for dogs who have been "potty pad" trained to generalize that to other soft, flat surfaces.
Also, dogs tend to not use areas they consider living space with for potty duty. Since her access to upstairs has been limited, she may not perceive that as part of "home". You might start crating and feeding her upstairs while supervising carefully. Remember, if you don't see it happen, any consequence after the fact is useless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys!! Most I'd this makes sense and I think I can make some changes and additions that will help based on your replies :)

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Another reason that she is more inclined to go on the carpet is that the smell is more likely still there from her going before. On a hard surface you can eliminate the odor whereas on a carpet it is harder to get rid of it. Also, dogs usually prefer a soft surface to go on. They usually much prefer to go on the grass than on the sidewalk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts