Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and truth be told I am not a 'new' dog owner. However, it's been quite some time since I owned a dog, but I am set to bring home my new puppy in November and I'm trying to learn as much as I can on the behaviors that I would like her to have.

This particular post is a general question about training a dog around a group of others. My living arrangements have temporarily changed for the time frame right after I get the puppy, and I will be living with friends that already own 3 dogs. The problem comes in, is that the three existing dogs are not trained very well in obedience. In particularly what comes to mind is uncontrolled barking whenever somebody knocks or rings the doorbell, to the point the owners are not able to gain the attention of the dogs. Obviously this is not the most ideal situation for training my soon to be very impressionable little girl, but it's the only option for a couple months. Does anyone have any insight on training a dog not to pick up unwanted behaviors when the dog's 'peers' act differently, or am I setting up for an uphill battle?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Teach your dog to sit...
The day you get her like I did Roman.

With the sit... You will attain your dogs attention as you already have her ears (if trained vocally).
Also... A houserule is established... So puppy knows there is certain expectations from her.

Simple but effective.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
lol...lol... you so very right... When I want a new pup to learn the right way first such as off lead checking my pasture fencing I defiantly don't match them up with Adele or J lol .. who like to dart off into the distance checking things out and come back in .. I start my new pup out with old steady Ra... and whala Arka can eventually be pared with Adele and J and not feed into them.. So your so right.. in what they can learn in an obnoxious group. Best I say spend a majority of your time together away from the group to learn skills, , especially finding a training center that starts with puppy classes and moves up to adult classes so the pup has other group dog experiences.. Do your best to not let the puppy be free willy apart of the mob all the time. Have them on a good schedule for crate time and outside time.. Don't let the mob be their only exposure :)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Do everything you can to keep your dog to yourself. Don't let your dog get away with things the others do, don't let them train your dog, etc. etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts