Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a golden from a rescue shelter almost 4 years ago. We think she was a breeder in a puppy mill since she was 7 when we got her and hadn't been spayed. Although she has a very sweet temperament, she's been difficult because, apparently, most of her life was spent in a crate and she was not house broken. After working with her for about 18 mos. she's doing much better but recently she's developed some strange symptoms. A few weeks ago, we had her groomed and when we picked her up her coat was mottled - almost like a pinto pony. IMG_1296.jpg It was a big contrast from her usual coat. She has also started eating grass; not just a blade or two, but huge mouthfuls. Almost like a cow grazing in the field. Occasionally, she will vomit. We recently had her treated for an eye infection and then what might have been kennel cough. Those appointments and a check up for her meds - she takes a low dose thyroid pill twice a day - have set us back a few hundred bucks so I hate to take her back to the vet again if these symptoms are no big deal. Any ideas on what might be going on with her?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Is she drinking a lot more water than usual? panting rapidly occasionally for no reason? ravenously hungry? If so, I would wonder about Cushings, which causes those symptoms as well as hair pattern changes/hair loss, muscle wasting, increased urination.

Did the groomer use a flea/tick shampoo? Some shampoos can cause nausea, so they eat grass to make themselves throw up. Did you use a Over the counter spot on flea/tick treatment (especially Hartz?) If so, wash her with Dawn dish soap to remove it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. When we first got her we noticed she panted a lot, and once after a summer shave, the fur on her back did not grow back for a long time. I think we suspected Cushings at that time but because she didn't have other symptoms, the vet wasn't sure. And we did not want to pay $800 for testing to find out that she actually didn't have it! I have noticed she is more lethargic - although she's never been a very active dog in the time we've had her - and that she now struggles a bit to get up from the floor. I may give the vet a call after all.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts