Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I’m hoping that you all can offer guidance. We adopted a pitbull - Jack Russell mix last November. He has been a very challenging dog to train. We had professional training, but it still took several months to get him house broken. He is in a crate and only allowed to run the house when we are home. Since it’s COVID that’s everyday! Lol
We are in the process of building a home, and sold our previous home fast so we are in an apartment. Which leads to our problem. He is now peeing in the house, but only when we put the leash on him. If we let him run, he doesn’t. But the leash is like a button that causes him to immediately pee. Obviously we cannot let him run in an apartment. WE NEED HELP. We literally go through a Costco size paper towel package every week and a half.

·
Banned
242 Posts
^ And if that does work, heavily praise and treat your dog for going outside.

How big is he? Do you have a balcany? For now, you can try a grass potty pad

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to my alerts. Getting a slip leash today and a smaller basic lead (to just wear in the house) to see Which one works.
Great ideas guys!
We are on the second floor, and he’s a little guy (30 lbs) so walking him down by the collar doesn’t work. He just pees on the concrete. We don’t have a balcony. I do have the treats ready to enforce the good behavior. Wish us luck!

·
Banned
242 Posts
good luck to you for sure! It really is an usual issue, I hope it works out for you. Maybe you could carry him downstairs? Would he pee in your arms? Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. He has actually peed on me. 😔 I have had him physically checked out too. This is my last hope. It’s been a very long year with this little dude. Gotta be honest, had we known he was part Jack Russell we would have passed. We were told he was a Pit/Boxer. One of the best dogs I ever had was that mix. But he never got much bigger and can jump almost over your head while you are standing tall and fast as lightening. We love him, but he’s crazy as hell.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Ah yeah, jack russels are something else. Maybe try something like agility with him, It would help him be more mentally stimulated and tired. Alot of places are opening back up for classes, I'd suggest trying it out. You can also join a flyball team/class if your dude likes tennis balls, or dock diving if he likes water. I understand not getting what you wanted in a dog My family adopted a "Pit x mastiff", but the bitch was bred by two dogs, so half where mastiff x pitbull, half where pit x hound.. So our family ended up with a howling, escape artist, energy packed dog, when what we where looking for was a more laid back dog that would mesh with our family better. I don't regret picking him at all though, because while in a desperate search to calm him down, I joined agility and now its my favorite thing ever, and its brought me alot of happiness. So I hope you can find something great about him, even if he wasn't what you where looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sounds like submissive peeing when you bend over to attach the leash. Leave a leash on him or use the slip lead by dropping it over his head while you stay upright and offer a treat (which he gets the minute the leash has been dropped over his head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts