Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 12 week old Min Pin has been doing GREAT with his potty training :clap2:. He has been pooping and peeing on his puppy pads for the last few weeks and the only accidents he's had were when we messed up and forgot to take him to his pad often enough. During the day, he stays in the laundry room with his bed and puppy pad. When I come home in the afternoon, 7 hours later, I usually find 2-3 pee spots on his pad and 2-3 poops also on his pad.

Recently, there was a change in his potty habits. For the past 4 days, I come home to find that he is now pooping on the floor, 4-5 inches away from the pad, then he seems to be moving his puppy pad ON TOP of his poop. (Is he trying to hide it?!)

One more thing, we took him to the vet last week and she said he has an "over abundance of Rod bacteria" and mild colitis which were making his poop a little soft. He has been taking 1 teaspoon of yogurt a day and a dewormed for the last 4 days.

Do you think this is just a temporary thing and he will go back to his pad again? If this can be fixed with just patience then great! We can wait it out, but if we need to correct something then suggestions would be great please.

I did order him a puppy pad holder that has a raised boundary. I was thinking maybe the boundary will let him know that he is off the pad.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Right before we stopped using pads, our boy was starting to cover his poop up, too. Hopefully the pad holder will help. We just decided to stop using pads, as it was causing him to think he could pee on anything that seemed remotely pad-like, like door mats, bath mats, throw rugs, etc.
So, we just stopped using pads. When our puppies were young we'd make sure one of us, or a friend or neighbor, came over at lunch to let him out. Otherwise, we just didn't leave a pad out. If he had to pee/poop, he would just do it on the floor by the back door, but usually he could hold it, with a break halfway through the day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really hope the holder will help. He usually poops more than once while we are at work, once on top of the pad and once is on the floor near the pad. Then I think he's pulling the pad on top of his floor poop to cover it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts