Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 4yr old neutered dog is humpy tonight. I think this is the first time in 3yr he has tried humping my leg. He might have tried humping me more tonight then all other attempts combined. He is not humpy with people normally.
What could be going on here?
They say unusual behavior is a cause for concern, does humping count?

Note he has been a little humpy on rare dog park occasions but he is more often getting humped then humping with other dogs..

·
Registered
221 Posts
So my 4yr old neutered dog is humpy tonight. I think this is the first time in 3yr he has tried humping my leg. He might have tried humping me more tonight then all other attempts combined. He is not humpy with people normally.
What could be going on here?
They say unusual behavior is a cause for concern, does humping count?

Note he has been a little humpy on rare dog park occasions but he is more often getting humped then humping with other dogs..
Humping is usually paired with over excitment in neutered dogs, especially if it's not a habit they had before the neutering. Was his day more stimulating than usual? Did something exciting happen just before? It can be under stimulation too and an attempt to engage you but that is rarer imo.

With changes in behaviour it's generally things like being reserved or snapping when touching in certain areas or when they wouldn't normally but if you're at all concerned I'd recommend checking with a vet anyway, you can't put a price on peace of mind.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Shep was neutered at 6 mos... he mostly stopped humping .... UNtil he was 8 YEARS old. We were in the dog park and he found a dog in heat ... She was happy to meet and greet, and I learned about the birds and the bees... with neutered dogs.

Regardless of previous experience, any male dog has the potential to try to mate and tie with any female, especially if she is in heat, or if he smells something of interest ... such as a female in scent range.

Humping could be related to some type of frustration or lack of exercise related to a change in schedule.

If you did not change circumstances or schedule, you might look for a neighborhood dog in heat.

If it is just humping, I don't think there's a reason to worry, but you probably want to train him not to. JUst before he humps, he'll have a 'look' in his eye. Cue him to Sit, before he can hump. Once he starts humping, it's too late. If he won't Sit on cue, then it's time to teach him .... when he doesn't have that humping feeling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts