Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second week of puppy ownership of a beautiful GSD boy and he's doing great. He's learning his schedule and trying to learn to potty train. I've done a lot of reading, but I've run into a couple problems of late that I would like some advice on how to correct.

1. Urinates before I can open the door

The dog seems to understand that when we move toward the door after getting out of the crate that it's time to pee. But, before I can pen the door (or sometimes even start to head to the door) he urinates on the floor. Is it because he's too young to hold it? Besides scolding, is there anything I can do?

2. Intimidated by leash

For whatever reason, the dog sees the leash and doesn't want to go outside. If I force it, we go outside and have a fairly pleasant walk, but he is always yearning to go back and whining throughout the walk. Anybody have a clue as to why?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd suggest you start with http://www.dogstardaily.com and its "Training Textbook". Dog isn't born with a leash attached on its neck, it has to be slowly trained - you can force it on him and hope for the best but I'd suggest using food rewards to get him used to it. As for potty time, you should carry him outside for the time being ie. don't let him walk one step out of his crate until he's done his business several times on one single spot. If he walks to that spot on his own he might just do it on the way. But I strongly recommend that you check out that site or get a good book.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here are some things I'd try.

Provide some sort of distraction while heading toward the door, such as a favorite toy or a treat. Try not to give the dog a second to focus on their bladder until you get him outside. One thing I did with our Chihuahua was picking her up and carrying her out but that wouldn't be practical for a larger dog.

Don't scold for accidents. That will cause him to associate peeing in front of you with bad things and you don't want that. Instead, praise/reward him for peeing where he's supposed to go. He should get the message quickly that holding it gets rewards. Also use a command word for peeing and pooping. It helps make relieving himself yet another trick he can perform.

As for the leash/collar, make sure that you have something that's comfortable for the dog but that will still allow you control. If the leash is uncomfortable to him under normal conditions, this will cause him to complain about it.

Beyond that try hooking him up to the leash to walk around the house, using praise/reward for him being calm and accepting the leash. When he's calm and accepting on walks, the same reward. As long as the leash isn't uncomfortable he'll accept it as good part of his life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
how old is he?

I'm not extremely experienced, but with my guy, for probably the first 3 weeks or so, he wouldn't want to walk on the leash, he just wanted to be back in the security of our apartment (we got him when he was 7 1/2 weeks). We just used a lot of praise (and a toy sometimes) when he would walk on the leash... but we also didn't force it, we kept him comfortable. He grew out of it, I think he was just adjusting, his whole world had changed very abrubtly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My puppy 3month old German Shepherd used to be afraid of the leash to.
It took me a few weeks to correct this problem, making her realize that the leash isnt scary calming her down while just laying down the leash beside her and all.Try reading articles on this site www.wellbalancedpet.weebly.com, i learned alot from this one. Hope it helps!

·
Banned
78 Posts
I would have him on leash in the house, and just let it drag around the floor, whilst you play tug o war. he'll be ignoring the leash around his neck soon.

I think Sassycat has hit it on the head with: you should carry him outside for the time being ie. don't let him walk one step out of his crate

Pups can sometime pee coz we're so exciting! This passes with time. And waiting to greet your dog till you are outside at his pee spot, can avoid it ruining your shoes in the meantime.

·
Banned
78 Posts
My 3 yr old GSD, has green feet! Ive mown the lawn, and he's been doing zoomies across it for the past hour. Nuts, GSD's are nuts. What have you done?
Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can also try timing him. Let him wander in the yard right after food/water intake, if he does not go within a few minutes then play with him, throw a ball for a couple of minutes. A little exercise gets them going. After he has done his business, praise him and take him back to his crate, wait for 2 hours and take him out again. When you are taking him out regularly then you can control the food and water intake to set up a schedule, meaning do not leave water in the crate 24/7. It will take just a few successful repetitions and he will get the idea and stick to it. But you will need to sacrifice for a couple of weeks by taking him out every 2 hours. At night you can extend to 3-4 hours as their system slows down during sleep. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh and regarding the hesitation for leash and walking, I think it is too soon to expect so much out of a pup. Some pups are very cocky and confident at this age, some are not (I am assuming pup is 9-10 weeks old), no need to rush him. Spend a couple of weeks bonding with him first then take him outside of the back yard. By bonding I mean provide him a clean place to rest/sleep, give him food/water on a schedule that works for him, take him out regularly to potty (does not have to be on a leash, just let him wander in the yard), feed him by hand, teach him to look in your eyes then release mark and hand feed etc etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts