Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a 5 year old wiemeranar. She is a super sweet lovable dog that is wonderful with our 19 month old son. She is crate and obedience trained. We recently decided to surrender to a rescue agency. :(
She is outside all day in a run because she is very destructive, she digs and chews if left to her own devices. Long story short...we just can't go through with it. We are prepared to do whatever it takes to keep this member of our family.
We have decided to bring her inside...we are both dog people but neither of us have experience with having an indoor dog. Advice and words of encouragement welcome. I have so many questions and concerns but in my heart I feel we are doing the right thing.

I stay at home with our toddler all day so I will be dealing with the majority of this transition, also I'm known as a bit of a clean freak.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Treat her like a pup when unsupervised she is crated. Some exercise tossed in with some daily obed work and see where you stand after a month. Is she destructive while you are there? Is the reason she's outside because of you being a clean freak. If that's the case either get over it or surrender the dog. Or is she outside because hunting dogs belong outside syndrome. More info needed. I know that a Weimie in the house is a great asset as they usually are good alert/watch dogs and very protective of their families. It might be worth the extra work involved.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Hang on a sec.. I'm a little confused. You initially gave up the dog, but have now decided to try it out again? Am I understanding this right? If that's the case, I'm glad you gave it another shot.

Weimaraners are known to have behavior problems. A lot of times it's blamed on Separation Anxiety, but what people don't realize is that it could also be from boredom. Weims are an active and smart breed and need both mental and physical stimulation to keep them from going stir crazy.

When you leave the house and she is by herself, does she carry on? Bark? Whine? Soil? Or is she simply mischievous and tries to get into things that she shouldn't? The most important thing here, if you can see what I'm getting at, is determining the ROOT of these behaviors.

It may be as simple as extra exercise and mentally-stimulating games each day. Or, you may need to consult your vet to discuss options such as medication. Either way, I would definitely advise a vet visit, possibly a blood workup to make sure there are no imbalances. After that, contacting a reputable behaviorist to help you work through her issues would not be a bad idea as well.

Look into time-consuming toys, such as treat dispensers. Perhaps you want to consider feeding her a portion of her meals from one of these to keep her entertained. Freezing kongs with wet food or yogurt also helps ease boredom as well. Bully sticks, too, are a great time-consuming chew, and can be bought cheap online.

Hope this helped, and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if my original post was unclear. The rescue agency found a family but we opted out and decided to keep her.
wvasko: She is not destructive if I'm with her. I've gotten over ALOT of my clean freak issues because of my toddler not my dog.:)
MissMutt: Thanks for the sage advice. I will look into blood work first and a
behaviorist if needed.

I think most of her issues stem from separation anxiety peppered with boredom. Most of her issues worsened when our Blue Heeler Mix passed away last summer.

Thank you both for your advice.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
How much structured exercise (walks, training, etc. Not just running around in the backyard) does she get per day?

Weims are what I would call "needy" dogs in terms of exercise requirements. If she's just being left in the yard all day, that could explain the destructiveness. I realize that taking care of a toddler is plenty of exercise in itself for you, but if you really want this to work, I'd recommend at least an hour of structured activity, and at least another hour of play time (fetch, frisbee etc.) daily.

A tired dog is a happy dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd definitely try to do 2 45 min brisk walks a day. That will help keep the detructive energy away.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I can't really give you any suggestions, other than I don't see this ending well... If you're a self procalaimed neat freak, why would you get a dog?

Maybe because you can always clean up if the dog makes a mess?
My dogs aren't particularly messy at all, certainly less messy than kids. I also recall that the OP stated her dogs were outside dogs, thus eliminating any indoor mess.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'd definitely try to do 2 45 min brisk walks a day. That will help keep the detructive energy away.
My dogs can go for a 2 hour walk, come home, rest up for a bit and bounce right back to the energy level they started at.

To the OP: I second the suggestions for treating your dog like a pup and crating your dog WITH SOMETHING TO DO (ie. stuffed Kong, etc.) when you cannot watch her. Your dog sounds bored and untrained. Though daily walks are great, I would also start getting your dog some free run time in fenced in areas every week outside of your own yard, plus plenty of serious play like tug or fetch, as well as some mental stimulation in the form of games you can play at home (shaping, find it, etc.). Taking some basic (positively trained) Obedience classes, then on to something more physical, such as Agility, would also be excellent. I suggest you check out the free Training Texbook found here: http://www.dogstardaily.com and also look into the training method information found here: http://www.clickertraining.com

jasony0423 said:
If you're a self procalaimed neat freak, why would you get a dog?
Seriously? Plenty of people who are neat freaks own dogs and do just fine. I myself like to keep a neat and orderly house, but with seven dogs I have had to lower my standards a bit. I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Simmer down. I know you can clean up if a dog makes a mess, but I don't proclaim to be a neat freak. Have you ever MET a neat freak? "Just cleaning up" isn't as simple as it is for some people... She also stated the dogs were now becoming INDOOR dogs... Next time read the whole post before offering your advice, k thanks.
I DID read the whole post, and I actually DID offer REAL advice to the OP, unlike you. You didn't read my whole post either as I said WERE outside dogs. My dad is a neat freak, I know what it's like, but when you have kids, like the OP does, dog mess compared to kid mess is NOTHING. Also note that the OP said she has gotten over A LOT of her "neat freakness".
Don't be a jerk.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Seriously? Plenty of people who are neat freaks own dogs and do just fine. I myself like to keep a neat and orderly house, but with seven dogs I have had to lower my standards a bit. I wouldn't have it any other way!
I thought OP was asking for advice on how to handle problem and was truthful in the clean up home problems. Why she got dog is her business only I don't think judgement is in order. She decided to keep dog instead of rescue, that shows me she's in the right place.

jasony0423
I glad I don't have any dog problems, it does not appear that helping is one of your 1st choices..

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Well, as the OP said, she has gotten over a lot of her neat freak tendencies due to having a toddler around. I have heard that can happen! :)

I like a neat house myself and have trained my dog there are areas of "no dog allowed." You can train your dog to this too. I also have 5 cats. My house is neat.

However, b4 that you need to start with crate training. There is a book and DVD from www.dogwise.com called "Crate Games" and I would get that and start to train your dog to a crate. This will help with the house breaking too.

Next, I know you have a toddler but your dog needs exercise. Lots of it. To this end you need to teach her to walk with you with a loose leash so that you can go walking with a stroller. BTW Never tie the leash to you or to the stroller so if the dog takes off you don't dump your baby!

Mental Exercise can be tiring too. I have used a 20 mninute clicker session to wear my dog down. Three such sessions a day will help take the edge off.

I would strongly suggest that you get your dog to a basic obedience class. This will help a lot toward you learning to train your dog.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
good for you for giving the dog another chance. kinda sucks to be the other family that thought they were getting a dog and then had it taken away at the last minute.
i would second wvasko's advice. i would definitely keep a close eye on her at all times. you may need to start training from square one since she will have to learn a whole new set of ground rules for indoors. exercising your dog is probably one of the best things you can do. a tired dog is a good dog, and one thats less likely to be destructive. your dog destructive behavior most likely comes from boredom, and if given plenty of exercise and attention that will help GREATLY.

good luck.

I can't really give you any suggestions, other than I don't see this ending well... If you're a self procalaimed neat freak, why would you get a dog?
that doesn't really make sense.:confused: being a neat freak and having a dog don't really have anything to do with one another. i have and know many people who have both dogs and very clean homes. it's not really that out of the ordinary.

maybe if you don't have anything constructive to say you shouldn't say anything at all?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts