Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Although your breeder is likely very knowledgeable, remember she is not a vet. It is possible that the vaccine caused the medical problems in her dog, although reactions are rare, but it's also possible it's completely unrelated. You should speak candidly with your vet about the possible side effects, statistics, and the likelihood of your dogs contracting the disease.

Personally, I have been vaccinating my dog for Lepto for the last two years with zero side effects. We live on a rural property where contact with wildlife and their waste is a daily occurrence, and after speaking with my vet and learning of the rising number of cases in the area, I decided to vaccinate to reduce the chances of serious illness. My dog is 6 years old, and although he is middle aged and healthy and would likely survive an infection, the fact that Lepto can transfer to humans and I simply didn't want to risk a serious case that could potentially cause liver or kidney damage was the deciding factor.

You can check out this website from AVMA if you would like more information on Lepto.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts