Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I will be bringing home a 3 month old miniature poodle puppy in 3 weeks so I'm trying to decide what size crate to get.

I'll be getting one with 2 doors and a divider but I don't know if I should get a 24" or a 30".
Most online articles list Miniature Poodles in the 24" crate category, but when I talk to breeders they say either 24" or even 30" would be good.

As I understand, the crate is supposed to be somewhat small so the pup feels comfortable and cozy, but is 24" going to be too tight or the perfect size? Is it bad to give him a little bit of extra room by going with the 30"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I prefer having the option of giving a dog more space and using the divider to make a large crate smaller during potty training months. Many young dogs do best crated to prevent chewing or getting into trouble in the house even well after they are fully potty trained so its nice for them to be able to stretch out in the crate once full grown.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I would get the bigger one and just use the divider until he's full grown. You don't want one that's too small for the fully grown dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts