Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend has a female lab/pitt mix that was not socialized very well as a puppy. Mostly just her room mates two beagles and my girlfriends husky she had at the time.

We got a puppy that is a dobey/husky mix and she was fine with it, we introduced them on neutral ground and them invited him into our apartment with no issues from her. They play on occasion and what not but otherwise she just lays around and does nothing.

Well ive been taking our 10month old puppy to the dog park since he was about 2 months to get him socialized and we started taking her a bit after and thats where the issue arises.

She wants to sniff other dogs like normal but when dogs sniff her to long she gets very aggressive and wants to fight them. Also if our puppy is playing she wants to get in and attack the dog hes playing with.

Any thoughts on what we can do to get her out of this? Any dog whisperers out there with an answer?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
First, don't bring her to the dog park any more. A dog that is not well socialized is definitely not going to be comfortable with all new dogs, let alone many of them in one area.

You'll need to start much like you did with your puppy. Slow introductions with single dogs at a time. Also, she may never like the dog park and that is OK too. I have a gal who is just peachy with all other dogs but is not a fan of large crowds of dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Okay, no more dog parks. They're not for every dog.

Pit bull breeds are great dogs. I love them, personally, though I'm partial to Am Staffs more than APBTs. However, pit bulls were bred for dog aggression. That's just a fact of the breed. Not every pit bull will be DA, and every other breed can be DA, but pit bulls are more likely to be DA. You can manage dog aggression, you can improve the behavior, but a dog park is not a place for a DA dog.

I say this as a person who owned a DA dog, a Golden Retriever/GSD mix. I did get him to the point of not trying to kill every dog he saw on walks using desensitizing and counter conditioning, but I couldn't take him to a dog park or Petsmart. DA dogs are not more likely to be human aggressive, btw. Those are two totally separate issues in dogs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would agree with not taking the dog to a dogpark.

some dogs just have lower thresholds when it comes to tolerance of other dogs, and unfortunately, not every dog in the dog park is going to have good manners.

My dog is not a good dog park dog, either. While she does get along with a few dogs and I did socialize her extensively, she doesn't put up with other dogs getting in her face and sometimes will snap to correct them.

My ex's dog was a pointer/pit mix who had a whole host of issues, and being dog aggressive was only one problem we had with her. We didn't take her to the dog park either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts