Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have a clicker, so I made an usual sound with my mouth. The pups respond, and clearly know what it is.

The problem: it's a sound people here make to call horses to them, and my pups keep going to a toddler and looking for food. It's very disruptive and drives them nuts when they are tethered to me/my hubby and she's here. She's too young to know to stop the noise.

Can I untrain the dogs that this noise means a treat is coming?

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you stop giving a treat when they hear the sound they'll soon stop of their own.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It could be ages before that extinguishes on it's own. I would give up and instead train them to go to you when they hear the noise- not to the source of the noise. It would still be annoying, but maybe less so to the other people?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could be ages before that extinguishes on it's own. I would give up and instead train them to go to you when they hear the noise- not to the source of the noise. It would still be annoying, but maybe less so to the other people?
Ah...that's great advice!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody knows exactly when or if your dogs will drop the habit. If you have been using it for a long time it may just be something they will always react to when they hear the noise. Try to create a new noise with the treat.
We have about 8 different noises.....too bad this toddler makes the noise for every animal she sees! We're working on it as a 'when you hear this noise look at us" and it's getting better. Big BBQ next week will inform us more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.