Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife fell in love with a small, long-haired, black dog named Kyno and we adopted him.

Nobody seems to know the breed. Pekingese ? I looked that breed up but I think he looks different.

Can you help ?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm no expert either, but looks like there could be some chihuahua in your dog. It's a mix I think.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I can see why your wife found this guy attractive. The domed head and yet still square muzzle indicate to me that possibly a brachycephalic breed was mixed with something of a longer muzzle. I've seen Pekingese x Chihuahuas that look similar and as well Japanese Chins x Cocker Spaniels that look much like this in the head and muzzle. Another breed or part of the mix to look toward would be the Tibetan Spaniel.

I like the small breeds, and I think this guy is a very cute little mix.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Looks like a Japanese Chin mix to me... the solid black colour is interesting. Maybe some Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in there as well.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would agree and say something with either Chihuahua, Japanese Chin, Spaniel and Pekingese.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the replies... He does get quite a bit of attention.

We've been big dog owners for most of our lives and were wondering if anyone had any tips for these smaller breeds ? His rear hind leg hair is long and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there... the rest of him is fine.

Here are a couple more pics, and one next to Oscar, our rescued lab/golden mix.
Surprisingly, Kyno is the only dog our old boy can tolerate as a live-in partner... Oscar is actually quite fond of the little guy.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thank you for all the replies... He does get quite a bit of attention.

We've been big dog owners for most of our lives and were wondering if anyone had any tips for these smaller breeds ? His rear hind leg hair is long and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there... the rest of him is fine.

Here are a couple more pics, and one next to Oscar, our rescued lab/golden mix.
Surprisingly, Kyno is the only dog our old boy can tolerate as a live-in partner... Oscar is actually quite fond of the little guy.

Thanks again.
If the hair wasn't meant to be there... then it wouldn't be there. :D its easy to cut it off if it's in the way. I have to do that with my girl, Susie: she has MASSIVE butt hair. :p

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Love that photo of Kyno and Oscar together. I also have an older larger rescue (16 years) and a couple small spaniel mixes. My rescue husky mix favors one over the other.

What kind of tips are you looking for? I find my spaniels very much behave as my larger dogs always did. I do have to exercise more caution on walks, though, as some large loose dogs have occasionally tried to ambush my small ones (4 times so far in three years we've been "rushed" and had to fend off a dog attempting to grab one up). The little guys have hardly a leg to stand on against a 90 pounder.

"His rear hind leg hair" is part of his flarings. Flarings (on front and back legs, all four feet, under the belly, and on the hind end) are expected in Japanese Chins - Pekingese-Tibetan Spaniels-Cavalier Spaniels-Cocker Spaniels and Papillons (and probably some others that I've missed). It is much easier upkeep to keep them trimmed, especially those flarings on the hind end - often called the bloomers, skirt or trousers by breeders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts