Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm a new dog owner living by myself with a Great Dane puppy. Here's the situation. Last week he was in an accident receiving an unfotunate broken front leg. Since it has been a week, he is becoming more used to the pain and thus, more energetic. I have to keep him in his kennel or my lap to keep him from re-injuring himself.
Having said all that, it makes it more difficult to potty train him. I had him on a schedule but apparently, that was thrown out the freakin' window today. I relieved himself in his kennel and now i'm worried he's going to keep doing it while i'm at work.

How can I potty train a puppy with a broken leg with an unpredictable pooping schedule?

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all, at 10 weeks old it's more than normal for a puppy to have lots of accidents, but NOT in his crate-even with a broken leg, unless there are other issues going on. His crate should be large enough for him to stand up and comfortable turn around in, and that's about it. If he has more room than that, then his crate is too big for him. You don't have to buy a new crate necessarily-just fill in the extra space with a cardboard box or anything else that he won't eat/chew/destroy/is harmful to him. Make sure that you are giving him more opportunities to go potty while he is recovering from his injury, but honestly-in my opinion-his injury shouldn't impact his potty training too much, because the principle behind potty training is that he goes to the bathroom outside, not inside-regardless of what his physical condition is. Just be more conscientious of the fact that he might need more potty breaks, might take longer to go potty once outside, and that (if he's on any) prescription drugs might potentially make him have less control of his bodily functions-maybe.

Other than that, just be patient with him and realize it's perfectly normal for a large breed puppy to be 13-16 weeks old before being fully housebroken and don't scream or yell at the pup after he has an accident (if you don't catch him in the act, he's only got a 5 second memory of going to the bathroom, so yelling at him won't hasten the housebreaking because he won't even know what you're yelling about)-it's not only traumatizing to the poor pup, it doesn't help housebreaking AT ALL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Another thing to consider: are you free feeding him or feeding on a schedule? Free feeding can lead to "unpredictable pooping" as you call it. Try scheduled feeding times if you aren't already.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts