Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad decided I NEEDED to be interupted from my shower, to see what we thought was some theif this morning...

It was a fuzzy, grey haired, bandit eyed, ring-tailed, Raccoon... Well, Raccoons, 3 of them. One big guy (or girl...) and two smaller ones, we assume the big guy is Momma Coon & the smaller ones are her babies. They scared us this morning on the way out, thought someone was trying to break-in via the Garage.

Why have they decided we're the perfect house to camp out for the winter? I have no clue, except our neighbor feeds stray cats... And we have good climbin' trees, easy access to her yard (fense can be crawled under from the front, we blockaded the sides for the dog), and no cats that are outside every other day.

This isn't the first time we've encountered raccoons, we had one that was HUGE, easily 30lbs it seemed (maybe because he was furry he looked that way..) We saw him in broad daylight, in the middle of summer, out in the open...

We called Fish & Wildlife because we didn't know if he was rabid or not, he wasn't. But I don't know if we'll call for Momma Coon & babies since they haven't been seen mid-day, only heard in the early morning and just seen a couple min ago (it's starting to get dark).. I may just convince dad to call Fish and Wildlife so they can relocate them to a place they're less likely to be hit...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Damn wild life.

I met two bears up close in the last week, while walking my dog. And skunks and wolves are still all over the place. I can't wait for it to get really cold.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Eh, raccoons are everywhere, it just depends how quiet/noisy they are whether you notice them! :) I hope they move on and leave your house alone. They can be a real problem sometimes.

I've heard trapper's stories of 70-pound raccoons. I don't know how normal that is, but I have seen some really big guys dead on the roadside.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just don't want these guys getting hit... AND Molly will most definatly bark and chase them, from being scared of them (Intelligent she is not) and I worry she'd set them off...Not to mention, I already live in a not-so-great neighborhood, and routinely wake Dad up at 3AM because it sounds like someone is outside my window. So far, nothing except a foot print, that turned out to be my younger brother's sneaking out foot print. (HA! Needless to say, he's in a room with a noisey door, and a window that's impossible to get out of now)

And when it gets cold here, well... It's not THAT much of a difference, it can hit mid 60's (sometimes it's been in the 80's) in the winter, then the next day be mid 30's...

I'm not a fan of Raccoons either, I've had a couple (maybe the same one...) approach my fiancee & I at his house... He tried scaring them off each time with a shiny marshmellow/hot dog roaster... It came closer, I went inside and got his huge box of Pop-its! Threw them on his porch, THAT scared the thing off...

·
Registered
647 Posts
We hit -58 F last year. We had 8 days in a row where it never got warmer than -30, day or night. Makes a huge difference on furry guests....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We hit -58 F last year. We had 8 days in a row where it never got warmer than -30, day or night. Makes a huge difference on furry guests....
See, I may sound insane, but I think I'd LOVE that kind of weather... I've lived in FL since I was 2 1/2... And before that Northern Alabama... It snowed ONCE and I wasn't even a year old, so I wasn't allowed outside... Therefore, I've never seen snow... I'd love being in a small town, but I live 10minutes from a large Air Force base, and an hour from one Navy base and an hour and a half from another Air Force base... And near the beach, so it's easy to say this is a populated area...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Doesn't sound insane to me at all. I'm the freak playing outside all day when we have the kind of weather where you have to constantly wink to keep your eyeballs from freezing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't sound insane to me at all. I'm the freak playing outside all day when we have the kind of weather where you have to constantly wink to keep your eyeballs from freezing.
O.O that sounds like sooo much fun! Just from seeing pics you've posted, your area looks absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately my fiance is a dry hot weather kinda person... Luckily though, he agrees when he retires, we're moving to a tiny town that gets snow, and has very pretty scenery :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I should make my home album on facebook public when I'm less lazy. We welcome immigration with open arms.

It's way too warm this year so far. We barely went below freezing point randomly. We're usually buried in snow by now:(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
See, I may sound insane, but I think I'd LOVE that kind of weather... I've lived in FL since I was 2 1/2... And before that Northern Alabama... It snowed ONCE and I wasn't even a year old, so I wasn't allowed outside... Therefore, I've never seen snow... I'd love being in a small town, but I live 10minutes from a large Air Force base, and an hour from one Navy base and an hour and a half from another Air Force base... And near the beach, so it's easy to say this is a populated area...
LOL, you THINK you'd like it!! If you've never even seen snow you don't want to start with -58 degrees. Southerners tend to run outside in a t-shirt when it's -30, because the sun is shining. . .guess what, the sun doesn't work up here! Snow is inconvenient, and really cold weather is painful ("eyeballs freezing"--that's literal! It hurts!). There are some good points, but it's not all fun and games either.

But, yeah, I'm willing to put up with it to live somewhere not too crowded. I couldn't live in a big city, it would make me crazy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I love everything about the cold, even the inconveniences.

My favorite part is how it's impossible to feel tired in the mornings. Just trying to reach your car in the morning freezes you to death and wakes you right up.

And we don't get TOO much snow. We get less than south of the province. It doesn't snow when it's too cold for evaporation.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Oh, I still manage to be tired in the mornings. Cold doesn't wake me up. . .it makes me want to go back to bed and be warm under my down comforters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...You do have a point Willowy, but I'm one of the last to complain about the cold here, and I always insist on sitting in the shade (it's colder :) ) when the sunny places are only a few yards away :p

I'll put it this way, I wanna live some where coldER, in a small town, and if it's in the South East, or North west / West or Mid-West, great... I don't think I could stand the NE or SW parts of the US.

Zoopie- I'm TERRIBLE about getting up in the summer, because I cannot sleep at night (too hot...) and don't fall asleep until 4AM most nights, Winter, I get UP at 3AM and wait until just before Sunrise and watch it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah sunrise...that's the tricky part. At the end of december, sunrise is around 9 and sunset is at about 15h00

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I'm one of the last to complain about the cold here, and I always insist on sitting in the shade (it's colder :) ) when the sunny places are only a few yards away.
No such thing as cold in Florida :p.

But, yeah, I couldn't live somewhere it's hot all the time. But if you do move to somewhere cooler, do yourself a favor and do it gradually. Start with Kansas or somewhere like that. Don't rush off to North Dakota or Alaska.

Yeah sunrise...that's the tricky part. At the end of december, sunrise is around 9 and sunset is at about 15h00
Hah, forgot about that. It's only about half an hour different here. Stinks to go to work in the dark AND go home in the dark.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But, yeah, I couldn't live somewhere it's hot all the time. But if you do move to somewhere cooler, do yourself a favor and do it gradually. Start with Kansas or somewhere like that. Don't rush off to North Dakota or Alaska.
Not sure how much choice I'll have on that one, my Fiance is shipping off to Basic next month (He's extremely happy the only AF BMT location is in TX, not so happy it's winter) and we have no clue where he's going after Tech, since he's contracted to be a Fire Fighter, so can be sent anywhere really...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Not sure how much choice I'll have on that one, my Fiance is shipping off to Basic next month (He's extremely happy the only AF BMT location is in TX, not so happy it's winter) and we have no clue where he's going after Tech, since he's contracted to be a Fire Fighter, so can be sent anywhere really...
Tech school for firefighters in teh AF used to be Cahnute, IL. If it still is, he'd better LOVE snow.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Where I live, its 55*F and it'll just get colder. You may be thinking of South Florida :p I live in the Panhandle
LOL. I took a class in Atlanta a few years ago and it was during the "winter" where apparently they had an awful "cold snap". The lows were like... 45-50 degrees and everyone was complaining about how COLD it was bundled up like it was the North Pole, while I was in heaven because it was the dead of winter at home. Good times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tech school for firefighters in teh AF used to be Cahnute, IL. If it still is, he'd better LOVE snow.
There's another in TX now if the one in Cahnute, IL is still there. And he's going to the one in TX. It's at Good-something AFB. 10WKs after his 8.5 at Lackland AFB... And unless he REALLY screws up in Basic (doubt it, he wants to try and have his flight graduate with top honors) and gets pushed back a week, he gets back a week after I turn 18 from tech.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts