Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's this jerk who moved behind us in the apartments who keeps coming over and saying our dogs keep barking all hours of the night outside T^T Which is bull because they sleep inside and he threatened to call the county. I tried to tell him it's not our neighbors dogs since they sleep outside but he REFUSED TO LISTEN and proceeded to threaten me. I told him I've seen him prowling around behind the fence at night with a flash light and that damn white truck of his, which is true and threatened to call the cops if he kept harassing us. He got angry and left. I don't know what to do. We've lived here for four years and nobody's ever complained before. I only let the dogs out to go to the bathroom at night for like 5 minutes. They're dogs and can't make them not bark at an asshole who decides to prowl like a creeper behind our fence.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Altho he really is.... He's not a jerk... He's someone who can't sleep b/c someone's dogs are barking and he's very frustrated. If you have the patience and compassion (as well as a handy baseball bat and a shotgun, in case he is unreasonable), then you might apologize that he can't sleep and invite him to come over to your door when the dogs are barking... Try not to argue with him, even though his irrational goal is to drag you down - Never wrestle with a pig, you both get muddy and the pig likes it - but when he comes over, banging on your door in the middle of the night, let him rant and ask him where he heard the dogs. Then, hide the bat where he can't see it and see if you both can locate the dogs.

If you do locate the dogs, he will be a little embarrassed and a little grateful... Then, he is no longer your problem.

However, if I read this wrong and your dogs are barking at him for 5 minutes, then I believe that they are doing their job, barking at prowlers. If this is the case, then he is "stalking" you, which is against the law in all states. You can call the police during the day and talk them into encouraging him to stop (the next time you catch him). Or you can press charges.

Although your dogs (or whatever dogs) may be a nuisance, even in a quiet area, ... most counties don't push the issue when a dog is barking at strangers. However, a prowler that threatens you represents a potential danger that most police take very, very seriously.

One scenario or something in between may fit your situation... unless you live in a very dangerous neighborhood with lots of gang traffic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Altho he really is.... He's not a jerk... He's someone who can't sleep b/c someone's dogs are barking and he's very frustrated. If you have the patience and compassion (as well as a handy baseball bat and a shotgun, in case he is unreasonable), then you might apologize that he can't sleep and invite him to come over to your door when the dogs are barking... Try not to argue with him, even though his irrational goal is to drag you down - Never wrestle with a pig, you both get muddy and the pig likes it - but when he comes over, banging on your door in the middle of the night, let him rant and ask him where he heard the dogs. Then, hide the bat where he can't see it and see if you both can locate the dogs.

If you do locate the dogs, he will be a little embarrassed and a little grateful... Then, he is no longer your problem.

However, if I read this wrong and your dogs are barking at him for 5 minutes, then I believe that they are doing their job, barking at prowlers. If this is the case, then he is "stalking" you, which is against the law in all states. You can call the police during the day and talk them into encouraging him to stop (the next time you catch him). Or you can press charges.

Although your dogs (or whatever dogs) may be a nuisance, even in a quiet area, ... most counties don't push the issue when a dog is barking at strangers. However, a prowler that threatens you represents a potential danger that most police take very, very seriously.

One scenario or something in between may fit your situation... unless you live in a very dangerous neighborhood with lots of gang traffic.
I initially wrote this when the guy had just come to my door so I was pretty upset. Here's a clearer explanation on what happened.

This guy came over the day before yesterday complaining about the dogs but before we could explain that it probably wasn't our dogs keeping him awake at night he headed back to his truck. Our dogs really don't bark all that much accept when strangers or the mailman come to the front door or there are people behind our fence in the back yard. They stay indoors and sleep most of the time. The only time they are outside is to use the restroom (10 minutes) or when I take them for walks. Our neighbors' dogs on the other hand are outside dogs and bark CONSTANTLY. When I mentioned the prowling at night it was at 3AM when the dogs woke me up to let them go potty and there was someone with a WHITE TRUCK and a flashlight casing our fence so the dogs started to bark, I got freaked out so I brought them inside.

So today this guy shows up AGAIN. He wouldn't let me talk. He just kept saying to keep my dogs quite. I let my dogs out maybe three or four times to use the restroom today and was out there with them and they only time they barked was when they saw Mr. Jerk behind the fence with his white truck. So to keep the peace I brought them inside. I tried SO HARD and calmly to explain to this guy it wasn't our dogs keeping him up. And then he starts yelling saying "I know it's them That's all I hear is THEM!" I brought up seeing him prowling the back yards fence at night and he got angry. He says "I'm going to call the county on your dogs!" Really the man is an idiot. We don't live in the county. And then he tells me that he's asleep during the day and away at work at night. Now this struck me as a little odd. He's complaining that MY dogs keep him up at night when he's SUPPOSED to be away at work. Unless his work somehow involves casing peoples fences I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. So he starts yelling at me and I threaten to call the police if I see him stalking our back fence at night. He gets angry and the proceeds to yell at my neighbors when they try to tell him to back off.

Then! He came back in his truck and stood there for a while before calling someone on his cell and leaving. He was there for a good 15 minutes. I called 911 since I was thoroughly freaked out. They of course did NOTHING.

So hopefully this clears a few things up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Supervise your dogs every second they are in your backyard, like, very very careful. This guy sounds like the sort of nutcase that would attempt to harm/poison them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Also, our neighborhood does have some gang activity. There was even a murder at the apartments I mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supervise your dogs every second they are in your backyard, like, very very careful. This guy sounds like the sort of nutcase that would attempt to harm/poison them.

!! There was an incident when Gizmo and Taz were 6 months old and someone threw ant bait over our fence AND kicked some of the boards of our fence in. My dad (being the burly manly kind of guy that he is goes out with the dogs now since he doesn't want me out there in case Mr. Jerk decides to take up his prowling hobby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts