Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2 year old fixed golden retriever girl and a 4 year old not fixed boy Bernese mountain dog. About a 5 days ago the bernese will not leave the golden girl alone (always liking her girl parts and trying to hump her and will not eat), when we separate them he is panting and will not calm down. When we take the golden away (to someone else house), he calms down and will eat a little. The second she returns it starts all over again. When she pees outside, he will try to find where she went and then lick it.
Since she was fixed, does she still go into heat? The bernese is getting very thin from not eating much and we are worried let alone the constant panting in driving us nuts.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Please take your dog to the vet.

Spayed females cannot go into heat. Spaying removes the uterus and ovaries. Without those, no heat can occur. What worries me is, are you sure she's spayed? I've heard of people thinking their rescue was spayed due to a scar in the right place, then finding out that scar was for some other surgery when their dog got pregnant.

Why isn't the male fixed? That may help in this case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got her as a puppy and had her fixed.
As for the male Bernese, we had a agreement with the breeder we would not have him fixed as he was the pick of the litter as have not had an issue till now. Our other Bernese was not fixed till he was 7 years old, then he lived to 14years old so we were ok.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Is the bernese used for breeding? Some males will pester a female even if another nearby is in heat.

How recently was she spayed? Is it possibly she.was coming into heat and just still has residual odor before spaying?

You can separate the two, neuter the male, or hope it passes.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have never had a male show interest in a spayed female, or a female while not in heat. Though I have neutered males who act intact when a bitch is in.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
does she have any sort of discharge coming from her vaginal area? Are there any houses close by with intact bitches?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts