Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old boxer puppy I've had for a week now.
I'm feeding her twice a day, at 7am and 7pm and I take her out right afterwards and it seems like she poops and pees outside. I'm having a problem with her peeing outside though. I try to give her treats and praise her when she goes outside, but she's only figured out to poop outside. She will poop outside and turn her head to look at me and when she's done she runs up to me excited to get a treat and praise.

She pees sometimes ouside, but 90% of the time I"m cleaning up pee inside the house. At times it seems she's running for the sliding glass door, so I figure I just didn't make it to the sliding glass door in time, so I don't punish her with saying No. But a few times I think she's about to pee, so I'll walk her outside and she will walk around and do noting and walk right in the house to pee. It's as if she thinks that peeing inside is what is expected.
I've caught her in the middle of peeing, which I verbally punish her and pick her up and take her outside. So I'm always punishing her verbally when I catch her in the middle of it, but she still doesn't seem to get it that she needs to pee outside.

I'm not sure if it's the treats also. I can tell when the dog poops outside, but peeing sometimes looks like she's just stretching or about to lay down.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, it seems I"m outside really long except for today as it's raining a little bit.

The problem seems that the longer I stay outside the more she thinks it's play time and starts to run around, dig or just simply play around.

When you say use the crate, what do you mean? I'm having some crate training problems, which I created another post about. It's probably mostly my fault that I did not have her sleep in the crate when I first got her, it's been a week. So she might think her crate is her bathroom as well, but trying to work on that.

Thanks again for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts