Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and I have been searching the internet to understand my dog's recent behavior, and haven't found anything very helpful. I figured you might be able to help me.

I have a six year old female black lab/german shorthair pointer mix (Zoe). My boyfriend's dog has recently moved into the home. He has a seven year old female german shepard (Moon).

At first, Zoe was understandably jealous--wouldn't let Moon come near the family or near her toys. That has calmed down after a few weeks though.

Now, Zoe consistently whines at Moon and stands over her and licks Moon's back. She tries to mount her, but Moon won't let her go that far. Moon will only allow Zoe to stand over her and lick her.

I'm confused, because I understand that a dog will stand over another dog when they are trying to assert dominance, yet I have read that a dog who licks another dog is being submissive to that dog.

I don't tell Zoe to stop doing what she is doing, because I assume that they will work it out amongst themselves. They don't fight and Moon doesn't snap at her. But it is clear that Moon wants to be left alone. Zoe will not give up.

Is there something I should be doing to make sure that they will get along?
What is going on in Zoe's head? LOL

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your replies!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts