Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while! I'm working hard with Rambo still, but he is incredibly stubborn. He's practically house trained now, finally, with the occasional accident.

But he is the most destructive dog. I've read about destructive behaviors and most of it says that he does it for attention, that he isn't getting enough so he causes trouble. He gets plenty of attention. From myself and my family.

As an example, I will play with him with a bone and once we've played for a while, he will sit content to just chew on the bone. I'll pet him and talk to him, and then turn my attention elsewhere knowing he has something to do. He will then get up and find something else to chew up. Do I really need to dedicate my attention to him 24/7? He doesn't seem to want to learn what's mine and what's his. I've been very strict since I got him and have made sure he knows what is his. I give him his own toys if he gets into something of mine, but he is completely disinterested. He'd rather have my stuff. He's the same way with my older dog, Panda. Anything she has, he wants.

I don't really know what to do. It's hard to limit what he has access to as far as my room is concerned. I have a lot of stuff and a small room. I keep most of it put away, but he still finds things. Since I spend all my time in my room, I don't want to not let him be in here.

I take him for walks almost every day. It's hard for me because I tend to get sick easily in the sun, but sadly I'm too nervous to walk around at night.

I know most of it is my own fault, but I'm trying. He's a year old now, and I feel like he's just getting worse. Less play, more terror. He actually bit me (didn't break the skin at least, and never has) over a roll of tape when I was trying to give him a toy instead. I just can't figure it out. I feel pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How long is the walk ?
What is almost everyday ?
6/7, 5/7 etc...
If you can't walk him in the sun, and night.
Wake up early and walk him.
I live in Texas, and it's very hot so I have to wake up early
to walk and jog my siberian husky.
If your not willing to do that for your dog,you might
think about re-homing the dog.
If you can't keep an eye on him, get a crate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Destructivness can be other things such as separation anxiety,lack of excersice ...I would suggest purchaseing a crate and if you can't be there with him crate him.Also I would start walking his little butt more, get him good and tired :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is crate trained. He hates the crate, to be honest. He is completely quiet in there though, he just doesn't like going in even if there are yummy treats waiting inside. I wonder all the time if his attitude problem is because of the crate.

Because of that, I'd like to stop crating him. I wish he could sleep on my bed like Panda does, but I can't trust him to be in my room without supervision -- not to mention that if I try to nap around him, he attacks my face with his tongue and barks at me. I have considered tying him up in my kitchen overnight since that is the least cluttered room as well as an easy to clean floor in case of accidents. I tie him up in there sometimes if I need a nap. He's got a nice long leash that lets him roam the entire kitchen, access food and water, as well as more interaction from the family because everyone passes through there. I could get him a bed (and easily make a temporary one until that is possible). I'm worried about a few things with this idea though.

That he'll bark or cry when we're sleeping. Accidents on the floor; since he has been crate trained he has no choice but to not use the bathroom at night, how do I know he won't just go since he has the option (rather, no one to take him out)... I'm also kind of worried he'll chew through the leash. It's not on the top of my list since he seems to have grown out of chewing on it and is content to just play and sleep. Hmm.

Could his loathe for the crate be causing problems when he is outside of it?

edit: I should mention, he doesn't fight or anything when it's bedtime. He actually magically becomes cuddly in an effort to stall. When it's officially bedtime, all I have to do is usher him in there. Sometimes he'll let out a tiny, non-threatening growl, but other than that... nothing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you ever considered a puppy playpen/excersice pen they are sold at petco/petsmart and online..simlar to a crate but more room and no wire top....I realll hate the thought of ANY dog being tied up with a lead (ie they can strangle themselves)as just one reason.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I looked for a playpen for months after getting Rambo, but couldn't ever find one that wasn't gigantic. I did find a PERFECT one, but I happened to be in Arizona so there was no way for me to purchase it. It was a good size and came with a nice blue pad to put under it. I couldn't find one like it online or in any stores when I got home.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. He hates his crate? So what!? If he's destructive and has not earned house freedom, he either goes in his crate or is confined in a dog-proofed area whenever you can't watch him 110% of the time. Think of it this way, if he was a toddler and you couldn't watch him you'd put him in a play pen like it or not.

2. Check out PetEdge at http://www.petedge.com/ . They have several different types of ex-pens you can purchase at reasonable prices.

3. How much daily training are you doing so that he's using his mind as well as his body? Training would include things such as trick training and games such as follow the leader, find it, etc. that make him use his brain. This would be more tiring for him than straight physical exercise. Is he on NILIF also?

4. Hang in there. Believe it or not, if you are patient and consistent he'll eventually get there. It just doesn't seem like it at times. But I'll bet most parents feel that way about their human kids also at times. LOL

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
He hates the crate, to be honest. He is completely quiet in there though, he just doesn't like going in even if there are yummy treats waiting inside. I wonder all the time if his attitude problem is because of the crate.
Many dogs are reluctant to go into a crate because it means they aren't with their people. Since he's quiet, though, I wouldn't say he hates it. I doubt he has an attitude problem due to the crate--dogs live in the moment; they don't dwell on the past or hold grudges.

I'd stick with the crate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts