Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently (5 days ago) purchased a purebred, but certainly not perfect, Miniature Red Longhair Dachshund from a fairly reputable breeder. She is just under 5 months old.

First, the good. She NEVER barks, nips, bites, etc . . . She doesn't even cry or yip when we put her in the crate. As far as that goes, she's the best.

But, the bad. She has Unbeleivable elimination (i.e. pooping) issues.

First off, she only goes #1 twice per day and #2 once per day. That's it. Every other dog I have owned goes about 6 times per day. But with this little thing, like clockwork, she urinates twice per day and poops once. That's it.

This, in and of itself, isn't the problem. The problem is that she WILL NOT go when people are watching her. It doesn't matter if we're outside walking, inside playing, etc . . . , if you are watching her, she won't go.

So we've been crate training her, generally only letting her out when we can sit and closely watch her. When you walk her, she won't go. She won't go on her puppy pads. She simply won't go. But the, as soon as I get a phone call, or ANYTHING to momentarily take my attention off her, she quickly goes on the rug. It's unbelievable. Literally if you look the other way for under a minute, there is a puddle. It's the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen a dog do.

So we yell at her, pick her up, and put her on the puppy pad. It does nothing.

So today I decided that I would not allow her to pee on teh carpet if it killed me. I have been watching her like a hawk, and crating her even when I get a phone call.

THe problem is that now she's gone almost 26 hours without peeing or pooping

This can NOT be healthy. Be she won't go when I walk her, she won't go when I watch her. When I turn around, she will go on teh rug -- which I cannot allow. But as soon as I place her on her puppy pad, she knows I'm watching again. AND, she wont' go in her crate.

She's been eating and drinking, but she hasn't peed or pooped for 26 hours now. What do I do?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Maybe when you caught her going and yelled at her it scared her?...now she thinks poo/wee in your presence will get her yelled at?:confused:

I would just keep taking her outside...she will go...and have treats and praise ready to give her when she goes .....if she does have an accident on the floor..just calmly walk over to her and pick her up and take her outside....try not to make a big deal out of the mess on the floor....(make sure you clean with an enzyme cleaner):)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Will she go outside if you turn around and don't look at her? The only other thing I can think of to do would be to get an X-pen, put a puppy pad on one side, attach her crate to the other, and put her food and water bowl on the side with the crate. I would also stop yelling at her for her potty mistakes, no wonder she doesn't want to go in front of you. Every time you see pee or poop you yell at her, why would she want to go in front of you?

·
Registered
673 Posts
could it be possible that where she lived before they were really stern with her and made her have issues while eliminating? Some pups react very negative if they where yelled at and such when they had an accident so they won't go in front of people. Maybe ask the breeder some questions

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Give her something to chew which will make her thirsty. Then let her drink lots of water. Take her outside and start walking really fast. Don't run just walk fast - something will eventually come out - when it does reward like crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We have decided to stop yelling at her completely and just GET HER TO GO. I just took her for a long walk outside and still not a drop.

I am making a vet appointment. I don't think her digestive tract is at 100% either if she can go this long.

But keep the suggestions coming.

DAMMIT! As I typed this she pooped on the carpet behind me. Unbelievable. But no yelling.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It sounds to me she has learned that if you poop/pee in front of a human, they will flip out. So she will only do it when you're not looking.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Some dogs are just weird about going......2 of mine have to go way down in the yard behind the bushes LOL....and my youngest the APBT will NOT poo or pee on walks.....she will only go in her yard :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some dogs are just weird about going......2 of mine have to go way down in the yard behind the bushes LOL....and my youngest the APBT will NOT poo or pee on walks.....she will only go in her yard :D
:D My Husky does that too!
And he pee's/poo's on the same spot of the front yard

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
When she messes, clap your hands and take her outside, or is she going to be going on puppy pads for her whole life? If not, then take her outside.

If she doesn't finish bring her back in.

When she has eaten and drank a lot, about 10 minutes later, take for a long walk, and just keep going until she goes.

I had this exact problem even though I never yelled.

I figured out a scheme...the second my pup woke up in the morning we would go for a walk, because eventually, she would HAVE to go, and I just simply turned my back and praised her and gave her a treat when she did.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Take her outdoors on a regular basis - frequently, if she wont go in a reasonable amt of time when outdoors, put her directly into her crate for about 10 mins, then outdoors again. If she still wont go, calmly put her in her crate for another 10 minutes, then outdoors. Repeat until she does go.
She WILL eventually go outdoors - then let her know what a WONDERFUL job she did! I always rewarded DJ with time off leash outdoors to play, unless it was real cold, then his reward was going directly back indoors. AND he was rewarded by being able to be at my side rather than in his crate.
I bet your little pup will catch on in a hurry, it's just knowing how to let her know what's expected that can be hard with some pups.

I'm SO glad you're no longer yelling at her - that really is the worst thing you can do. We all know how frustrating potty training can be, but honestly, just think how frustrating it must be for pup who has NO idea what she's doing wrong. What you need to do is let her know what she's doing right instead.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If she is loose, even for that ONE minute you turn your back...frankly, YOU are the one setting her up for that failure. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just the way it is; if she is allowed to sneak off behind your back, you need to keep her on a lead...no longer than four feet, and strap it to you, so even when you are on the phone, or typing on the computer, she is right there with you, and you can feel or see what she is doing down there. ;)

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
If she will be on puppy pads forever, then put the puppy pads in an ex-pen and only allow the dog to come out of the ex-pen AFTER she has done business, and then only for an hour or so. She has to EARN the right to have freedom in the house.

If you are training her to go outside, and she doesn't like to be watched (and I'm assuming you don't have a fenced yard), again set up an ex-pen, leave her out there, go in the house and watch from a window where she can't see you, and wait for business to be done. If she does not perform within 15 minutes, bring her in the house, crate her, and let her out every 15-30 minutes until she performs. When she performs you need to have those treats by the door and praise like crazy. Then she can have the run of the house for an hour or so. When her hour is up I would put her in a gated kitchen or some place where she can see you but if she has an accident it can easily be cleaned up.

It sounds to me ike she has been on a very strict schedule at the breeder's. You might even call the breeder and ask how she potties her dogs...what type of schedule, where they went to potty, or has the dog had no training at all...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
For anyone following this, thanks for the replies.

Things are not getting any better. Today, again, she went almost 22 hours not have peed or pooped at all b/c we don't let her out of our sight, and she won't go when we are watching.

Finally, earlier this evening, her whole body was shaking she had to go so bad. We literally physically held her on the pad for over a half hour until she basically lost bladder traction on the pad. We praised and gave her treats like crazy. We then let her run around for 3 minutes, where she managed to lose control of her bowels she had been holding it for so long. But when we pick her mid-poop, her tail whips between her legs (getting all covered in dog mess), she stops pooping, puts her head and ears down, and literally looks terrified. Bare in mind we ARE NOT yelling at her and ABSOLUTELY not hitting her. Literally if we even pick her up mid-poop to move her to the pad, she freezes and does this. When you hold her in mid air her tail is clinging so tightly between her legs that we literally have to physically pry it back out to "clean her up."

All I can think of is that someone really abused her at some point before we bought her (we got her 6 days ago now).

Come to think of it, when we were at the breeder's, I asked if the puppies were potty trained. The breeder told us "they go pretty well on newspapers," but the young daughter piped in and said "except that one [the one we were buying], SHE GOES EVERYWHERE!!!"

So all I can think of is that she is a difficult dog to train, and as a result, underwent abuse at the breeder's which made her afraid to go in front of adults.

We have a vet apointment tomorrow. But as of now she literally holds her bladder for close to 24 hours until she is shaking and fully loses traction rather than go outside or in our presence. We can't keep forcing her to lose bladder traction just to go.

I really don't know waht to do, and I just want to help the poor little thing :(

If she will be on puppy pads forever, then put the puppy pads in an ex-pen and only allow the dog to come out of the ex-pen AFTER she has done business, and then only for an hour or so. She has to EARN the right to have freedom in the house.

If you are training her to go outside, and she doesn't like to be watched (and I'm assuming you don't have a fenced yard), again set up an ex-pen, leave her out there, go in the house and watch from a window where she can't see you, and wait for business to be done. If she does not perform within 15 minutes, bring her in the house, crate her, and let her out every 15-30 minutes until she performs. When she performs you need to have those treats by the door and praise like crazy. Then she can have the run of the house for an hour or so. When her hour is up I would put her in a gated kitchen or some place where she can see you but if she has an accident it can easily be cleaned up.

It sounds to me ike she has been on a very strict schedule at the breeder's. You might even call the breeder and ask how she potties her dogs...what type of schedule, where they went to potty, or has the dog had no training at all...
What is an ex-pen?

She will be on pads the rest of her life (my girlfriend and I will both be corporate attorneys after the bar exam this summer and she will be an in-door city dog that needs to be able to spend alone time at a condo and still be able to go).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If you're in the US or Canada PetEdge ( http://www.petedge.com/ ) is a good, reasonably priced source for ex-pens and other supplies.

When you're at the vet's ask him about meds to help her anxiety temporarily while you work with her. Or perhaps a homeopathic remedy such as these (http://feelbach.com/pets.htm ) might take the edge off enough for you to be able to get her past her fears.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just read this and I wanted to say hang in there and keep working with her. The pen idea is really good since you want her to use pads anyway. That way you can not watch her and hopefully she will go on the pads. If you do catch her in the act reward her like crazy, never yell at her. This breeder must have done a real job on her, doesn't sound like a good breeder at all.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I don't know that this is necessarily the breeder-caused problem, or at least not intentionally. I know that Kaylee was VERY reluctant to poop while on leash when I got her, simply because Bethany (Txcollies) has a fenced yard, which I didn't at the time. :) Kaylee was all "You want me to poop with you 6' away from me?! Are you out of your mind?") She didn't have any accidents, but for the first week or two, she refused to poop anywhere but the dog park or my parents' yard, the two places she was off leash every day. :p

So it might be to do with the breeder, but it might not. No telling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts