Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

umm........ wtf is this???

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  TxRider 
Well, it's definitely oral disease but keep in mind, @ 12 yrs, there si not much that the owners can do about this, medically. I'd say the risks of anestesia coupled with the small size of the dog would be potentially life threatening, especially if there is an undiagnosed kidney or heart problem going on.

BTW, renal disease can cause already bad teeth to get in that state. It was probably a bad mouth made worse by the normal process of aging. The owner should probably be advised to stop feeding canned food if they are in the habit of doing this. There are kibbles out there designed to clean the teeth, and also giving bones would healp scrape some of the tartar off. But the best thing that can be done is for the owner to get a $5 veterinary tooth scaler and little by little, scrape the teeth themselves. I have been using a scaler on my dogs and it has made drastic difference in the older ones. It's dirt cheap and very safe, unlike dental scalings done under anestesia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.