Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

umm........ wtf is this???

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  TxRider 
Bleeghhh that dog is in serious need of a veterinary dental cleaning! Small dogs are so prone to tooth problems. It is important to start brushing a dog's teeth daily, especially small dogs, from an early age, with yearly dental cleanings once they reach a certain age.
Hmm, I've never brushed a dogs teeth in my life. I guess my dogs always got enough biscuits and chew toys to keep their teeth clean. But daily?

You brush your teeth daily don't you? Just an extra five minutes a day won't kill you. Kibble and biscuits will only clean the tips of their teeth. They actually push the food into the gumline and in between teeth. Brushing will prevent plaque from accumulating at the gumline. A dog's teeth aren't designed to eat kibble; they are designed to eat meat and rip meat from bones. If you want to clean teeth that way, feed them raw meaty bones. NO cooked bones though. Beef back ribs, chicken wings, turkey or chicken necks are good ones to feed. I suppose you can get away with brushing 3 or 4 times a week but to me, it's easier to remember if you start a routine every day.
Well as I've said I've never brushed a dogs teeth, and the dogs all live to 14-16 years with good teeth if a bit worn, maybe a little plaque when they get very old. Never had a dog with teeth that looked like that pic for sure.

But they get rawhide, bones, biscuits and whatnot to chew on regularly which must do the job. I also don't own small dogs, maybe they are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.