Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is starting to get antsy when I'm not home, but only sometimes. I'm not even quite sure how to explain it.

If no one is home, she is fine and as far as I know, sleeps on the couch the entire time.

If there are people home, however, and I am not one of them, the other people in my household SWEAR that my dog is anxious. They say she whines more than usual. They say she'll be let upstairs, look around, be let outside, look around, etc.

When I come home she's usually veryyy bouncy by the door, whining, jumping, etc. I would assume this is anxiety of some sort. I usually ignore her for this time and then ask her for a sit or down or something.

So, yeah.. I know better than to jump the gun and say, "OMG! My dog has SA!" but I am afraid something's a-brewin.. I don't want to worry about my dog panicking everytime I'm not home.

The only other thing I can think of is that when I'm home, her day gets broken up into smaller bits - ie., training sessions, several short walks, etc. Maybe she just gets bored? They said she was good for a while tonight while I was out, but towards the end started getting whiny. She doesn't always get like this -- she was fine this morning while I was out and the only person home was my mom asleep in bed.

Right now she's upstairs, she's not even with me.. so I know she doesn't always want/need to cling to me.

Thoughts? Advice? Fear issues are enough - I don't want any anxiety!

·
Registered
29 Posts
perhaps she is ok with you being gone normally, BUT when others are home and you are not she is wondering why they are there and you are not?? she might assume that if people are home, then everyone in the family should be home including you

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You know, I find this to be true of Jonas, too. If no one is in the house (I've peaked at him from the windows when they all thought we had gone) and they're just chilling in their beds, chewing toys or sleeping. But if someone is home, he sits and stares at the door, paces, and occasionally cries when I'm gone. Luckily, there aren't people there when I'm not often, but I'm just as curious as you are.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Can you freeze a few stuffed kongs and ask people to give them to her periodically while you are gone and they are home? Or a marrow bone or whatever she likes to lay down and chew on? Chewing on something can be very relaxing to many dogs, and it gets her to lay down and reinforces her for laying down while you are away. She will also learn that good things can happen when you are out and other people are home.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It's possible that you're seeing something similar to what goes in my house. I am the one who provides the structure in my house, and the dog seems a bit uncertain WRT what's expected of him, in my absence. Some dogs have a greater need to follow a routine, and they get anxious when it is interrupted. That doesn't mean that other family members have to follow your routine. They can establish their own.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Will try to go out and get another kong so I can alternate them. My sister and I BOTH went out today and we had my mom give Marge some goodies while we were gone. Seems like she was alright, she said she laid on the couch, got up, went back on the couch again a couple of times. No whining or pacing, though, which is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts