Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In December 2010, the UKC announced that their Weight Pull Program was on Probation for "issues" they were seeing. All Weight Pulling in the UKC halted on June 30th 2011, and the UKC Community waited to see what the outcome would be. Today we got the word:

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/News/WeightPullAnnouncement07292011042949PM
Weight Pull Announcement

Posted on 07/29/2011
Permanent Link

July 29, 2011

UKC Weight Pull Community,

After careful consideration, the United Kennel Club has made the decision to continue with the UKC Weight Pull program, with considerable changes. Additionally, the United Kennel Club will have a zero tolerance policy for any deviations from the goal of a fair, fun, and family-oriented event. With that said, UKC will be continually monitoring the UKC Weight Pull program.

The following rule changes will be put into effect immediately:

· Class placements (1st – 4th), Most Weight Pulled, and Most Weight Pulled per Body Pound overall awards have been eliminated.
· Dogs will be allowed to pull up to a set maximum of a dog’s body weight. Once the maximum is reached the dog is automatically withdrawn from the pull. The maximum weight a dog may pull will be set as follows:
o Wheel System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 35 times the dog’s body weight. For example a dog who weighs 100 pounds will be allowed to pull up to 3,500 pounds and no more.
o Rail System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 45 times the dog’s body weight.
o Snow System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 15 times the dog’s body weight.
· Accordingly, the UKC Weight Pull All Star and UKC Total Junior Weight Pull program will remain suspended.
· The Grand Weight Pull Classes and the Divisions 1 and 2 have been eliminated. Therefore, the weight classes will be divided by weight only. All dogs will pull in their respective weight class on the day of the event regardless of the title they have achieved.
· Title requirement changes: (There will be no changes to the requirements for the following titles: (UWP) United Weight Puller, (UWPCH) United Weight Pull Champion, (UWPCHX) United Weight Pull Champion Excellent, (UWPV) United Weight Pull Versatile, (UWPO) United Weight Pull Outstanding, and the (UWPS) United Weight Pull Supreme. Please note that any points that have been earned prior to August 1, 2011, will remain on the record, and will count toward the progression of the next title. Also, all titles that have been earned and recorded under the previous point schedule(s) will not be affected by these changes.)
o The United Grand Weight Pull Champion (UGWPCH) title. To earn this title:
§ Eligibility. A dog must earn the UWPCHX title before it is eligible to earn points toward the United Grand Weight Pull Champion title. Accumulation of points toward the title of United Grand Weight Pull Champion begins at the next pull following the completion of the requirements of the UWPCHX title.
§ Requirements. A dog must then earn 500 additional championship points in accordance with the Championship point schedule in section: XXVI A. to become a United Grand Weight Pull Champion.
o The United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1 (UGWPC1) title. To earn this title:
§ Eligibility. A dog must earn the UGWPCH title before it is eligible to earn points toward the United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1 title. Accumulation of points toward the title of United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1 begins at the next pull following the completion of the requirements of the UGWPCH title.
§ Requirements. A dog must then earn 1000 additional championship points in accordance with the Championship point schedule in section: XXVI A. to become a United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1.

It is the hope of the United Kennel Club that the focus of the UKC Weight Pull program be on the bond between the exhibitor and dog, and that the above changes will help shift the focus to ensure UKC Weight Pulls are fun, family-oriented events.

It is very important to move forward with a positive and constructive objective. The United Kennel Club expects that all UKC Clubs, UKC Judges, and UKC exhibitors adhere to the UKC Rules and Regulations. The success of this program relies on all involved (all UKC exhibitors, UKC Judges and UKC Clubs) adhering to the rules and regulations put forth by UKC. If you do notice a rule violation(s) or misconduct, please refer to your official UKC Rules and Regulations to make sure what was witnessed is in fact a violation of the rules, or an act of misconduct prior to initiating a complaint. In the event that a violation(s) or misconduct has been committed/occurred, be it by a UKC exhibitor, UKC Judges and UKC Clubs or all of the above, it is the responsibility of those who witness such act to file a complaint according to the Official UKC Rules and Regulations (page(s) 22, 23, 42, and 47). Adherence and understanding of the Rules and Regulations are the responsibility of all UKC exhibitors UKC Judges and UKC Clubs. The UKC does appreciate when a valid complaint is submitted properly so that the appropriate actions can be put into effect, and the events can remain fair, safe, and fun for everyone.

Scheduling a Weight Pull:
If your club traditionally holds UKC Weight Pull events on or after August 1, 2011, please e-mail your request to hold a UKC Licensed Weight Pull on your traditional corresponding weekend. These requests can only be approved if they are received prior to the event date. Once your request is approved UKC will e-mail you a UKC Weight Pull event application so that we may obtain the information required to advertise these events in the “Upcoming Events” section of the UKC Website and, the Bloodlines Dog Event News magazine for events starting in October. Please be patient with our response time as we expect to receive a large amount of these requests, the responses will be sent according to the date of the pull. Pulls with August dates will be responded to first then September dates etc. There will be no late fees for clubs submitting applications for UKC Weight Pull events through January 31, 2012. For clubs wishing to add additional UKC Weight Pull events to their calendar, we will also be accepting requests for new events to be scheduled. Please e-mail all of your scheduling requests to [email protected] and [email protected].

We would like to send a huge Thank You to all of those who have made suggestions, and shown their support of the UKC Weight Pull program. Please keep in mind that there is a zero tolerance policy for any deviations from the goal of fair, fun, and family-oriented events. We look forward to a renewed success in this program and encourage all UKC Weight Pull fanciers to contribute to that success by making sure the events are kept fair, fun, and family-oriented. Check out our Upcoming Events page for a UKC Weight Pull event near you! Your continued support is greatly appreciated as we move forward with the new rules!
I can honestly say I am HIGHLY disappointed in the UKC and this new ruling.

To put this in terms everyone can understand, dogs no longer are allowed to advance and do better then they use to. Nubs max pull was 3,612lbs (remember this was with a bad ACL), under the rules the MAX Nubs would be allowed to pull is 2,925lbs before he was excused from pulling.

One of my friends in the sport did the calculations, to go from the very first title, to the highest title you can get now under the new rules, if you maxed out how many points you can get EVERY time you pulled (impossible to do) it would take 111 days to do it.
111 days x $25 entry fee = $2775 to get the title.

If a weight pull happened EVERY WEEKEND, it would STILL take over a year to get your max title. Normally in Michigan and surrounding areas, there is one WP a month. If you didn't miss a weight pull, it would take NINE YEARS to get that title.

So yes, I will not be pulling with the UKC really. Maybe their first two titles, and then I'm done. It's not worth the time or money. Thanks UKC for nothing. Thanks for just getting rid of another program. "Our dogs do stuff" yeah right.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am looking into weight pulling and am trying to learn as much as possible.

Why did the UKC decide on these new rulings? By the way its written it sounds like handlers were over-working their dogs and unnecessarily stressing them. What is your opinion?

What other organizations have weight-pull programs? Are they just as competitive? Do they have similar restrictions?

Can you explain your calculation? I don't know how you would start your dog in pulling, but are there set guidelines for how much extra weight your dog can pull (like, can you only add 5 pounds per successful pull to get to your max or can you try for your max whenever)?

I'd love to hear everything you have to say about the sport and any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That sounds really disappointing. I enjoy seeing posts about Nubs and his weight pulls. It's too bad they're making it so difficult.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why did the UKC decide on these new rulings?
The way the program as set up before hand you had placements, and those placements counted toward more points and titles. You also had Most Weight Pulled, and Most Weight Pulled by Percentage which gave you some extra bonus points toward your next title as well. There was also a top ten for certain breeds (APBT, ABD, and all others) which was for bragging rights. What started happening was some clubs were cheating, and letting their members do things they shouldn't have. So things were reported but because of no proof, they couldn't do anything about it which caused a bunch of drama. So vendettas were made, and false reports started being filed which cost the UKC $$$$$ to investigate and it ended up causing more money the what WP was bringing in.

By the way its written it sounds like handlers were over-working their dogs and unnecessarily stressing them. What is your opinion?
As far as anyone can remember, there has NEVER been a dog seriously harmed in WP. There has been some pulled mussels when a dog miss stepped or wasn't properly trained to work the track, but besides that, nothing. The dogs when they can't pull anymore, or are just to tired, they tell you. It's the judges call as well if your dog is going to hurt itself. The WP community will SHUN a person if they are causing harm to their dog. I've seen it myself and have been apart of that. We are there to show our dogs are better then just pets, not to cause them any harm.

Can you explain your calculation?
This will be LONG:
UWP- 3 qualifying pulls
UWPCH - 100 points
UWPCHX- 250 ponts
UGWPCH - 500 points
UGWPC1 - 1000 points
------------------------
1850 points/ 20 points = 92.5 pulls (I think she added in some of the titles that you get for doing so many points on different things like 100 on rails, 100 on wheels, then 100 on ice will earn you UWPS which is it's own title and doesn't cause any extra work)

1 WP weekend a month = 2 pulls a month on avg 46 weekends to get all titles. There are no events normally in Jan or Feb so

46 weekends/ 10 months = 4.6 years to get all the titles ONLY IF YOU PULL 20 POINTS EVERY TIME and that doesn't happen. I've been to pulls where the cart was so hard to pull, that not even the top pullers in the country could get more then their 10 points. My dog NEVER out pulls them, and he out pulled them that weekend by 100lbs.

So, if you start your dog at 2 years (like you should), your dog will get all it's titles by it's 6.6 years of age. Wow...

And actually it's more then that, because the 3 qualifying pulls has to be hosted by two different events. So add on another weekend for that. IF your lucky like I was, you can earn your UWP in one weekend if you his a 3 day event where two different clubs are hosting it.

I don't know how you would start your dog in pulling, but are there set guidelines for how much extra weight your dog can pull (like, can you only add 5 pounds per successful pull to get to your max or can you try for your max whenever)?
What other organizations have weight-pull programs? Are they just as competitive? Do they have similar restrictions?
At the top of this forum there's a sticky about weight pulling. Many of your questions will be answered there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts