Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a retractable leash today, it has the nylon webbing throughout the entire leash, unlike some with webbing and then a thin rope as the rest of the leash. Anyways my 9 week old pup managed to chew through it within a few minutes. My wife and I were eating lunch at the park and I wasn't paying attention to her for a few minutes and when I looked at the leash it was half severed:( the webbing was thin and looked cheap but I paid around $22 bucks for it and this was the first use lol. I just cut off the first couple of feet and re-tied it to the clip. I really need to find a way to stop her from chewing on her leash lol.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
First of all, retractable leashes are a waste of money. They encourage pulling and are crap materials.

Get a 4-6 ft nylon leash, spray it with bitter apple/yuck and supervise the dog.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I have one that I used with my dogs during house training. I didn't have to follow them all over the yard, potentially stepping in poop...lol Because they have a far reach, I could more or less stand in one spot. Other than that, they are worthless, IMO. The stupid lock thing on mine constantly sticks. I'd never feel comfortable taking my dogs actually out in public using it. I've heard too many horror stories of a good pull from the dog popping the mechanism inside.

I'd invest in a good nylon or leather leash. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hehe, Toby ate almost his entire leather leash once in the car.....I didn't even have a clue---didn't hear him chewing or anything. So I bought Lupine leashes, because they'll replace them for free if they ever get damaged, even by chewing. But of course he doesn't chew nylon leashes :rolleyes: . I really like leather leashes, too *pouts*.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah after using it a few times today, I found out that they are crappy. I do have two 6 ft nylon leashes that I like much better. The only real reason I bought the retractable was so that I can use it on her when I take her outside to potty.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
lol after all these negative respincises I have to say I like mine for Hawk it's really nice for working on recalls because it allows him to get really far away from me and distracted

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
If you want a long leash... get a 20' line. I love mine. I use it at the beach, in the field, in the park if no one's around. Marge loves it, and I think it's much safer than a retractable leash and doesn't encourage pulling nearly as much.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have a 16ft retractable leash, and really- Donatello does amazing on it, he's not a chewer and he doesn't pull; He knows that when I stop, he's allowed to keep going, but once he reaches the end he stops, he's doesn't continue to pull...

I think the retractable leashes should be for the dogs that can handle them; If your dog has a tendency to chew, and if your dog has a tendency to pull or is easily distracted, then I'd say keep to a thick nylon one. I have a 5ft and a 15ft nylon leash and lead that I use for certain purposes.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have one that I used with my dogs during house training. I didn't have to follow them all over the yard, potentially stepping in poop...lol Because they have a far reach, I could more or less stand in one spot. Other than that, they are worthless, IMO. The stupid lock thing on mine constantly sticks. I'd never feel comfortable taking my dogs actually out in public using it. I've heard too many horror stories of a good pull from the dog popping the mechanism inside.

I'd invest in a good nylon or leather leash. :)
Of course, that also goes against the common advice of having one potty spot, and always cleaning up poop right away.

For long recalls I use a long line. It took long enough to get Sadie to stop pulling on walks, I wouldn't want her to get back in that habit. Dragging the leash while exploring is enough of a different sensation from the tense retractable.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Hawk's line isn't a very strong one. it's made for dogs up to 25 pounds and he weighs almost 50 pounds so there isn't a whole lot of pressure that needs to be put on it to get the line out. I'm sure he barly feels it if he feels it at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dog used to bite leash when she was puppy,and I sprayed with bitter apple thing and the habit has stopped.What I use for leash is Nylon leash that is probably 4ft to 6ft long. When I take my dog out for playing Frisbee or ball,I use long training leash that I think is 50 feet.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Just bought a retractable leash today, it has the nylon webbing throughout the entire leash, unlike some with webbing and then a thin rope as the rest of the leash. Anyways my 9 week old pup managed to chew through it within a few minutes. My wife and I were eating lunch at the park and I wasn't paying attention to her for a few minutes and when I looked at the leash it was half severed:( the webbing was thin and looked cheap but I paid around $22 bucks for it and this was the first use lol. I just cut off the first couple of feet and re-tied it to the clip. I really need to find a way to stop her from chewing on her leash lol.
I love your dog already! She did to that retractable leash what I want to see done to ALL retractable leashes.... Sorry you are out the $22.. but GOOD FOR YOUR DOG. LOL

Mostly I really hate retractable leashes not for any reason other than the person on the other end of it. Before I go off on this I will say I am NOT accusing you, the OP, of this..

In general.. people using retractable leashes do not seem to pay attention to their dogs. The dogs go all over the place and often into my dog's face while the person holding the leash is talking to someone or gazing into someones eyes or talking on a cell phone... and is completely oblivious to their dog.

While my dog is friendly I don't allow her to run up to strange dogs or people.

Get a good, solid leash and spray it with bitter apple. If your pup wants to chew while on a walk, bring a rope toy and tie it to a short length of clothes line and let her have that (and it lets you play tug with her too).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to walmart today and bought a bitter spray, but it is not sour apple, it says it has tea tree oil. I sprayed it on and she still chewed it lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Timely post for me, I thought I'd give one of these a try. And lo and behold, I like it a lot. My dog's a bit under 30 lbs, doesn't really pull hard at all, I also use one of those Gentle Leader type of harnesses. The leash is 15 ft, and I use it only when I'm walking her somewhere where there aren't a lot of people, and certainly not around my neighborhood where she would be able to go in the street.

For example today I went to the local park (used to be a navy base, there's a 2.3 mile paved path around the perimeter of the runways and stuff). Anyway there was hardly anyone on the path, so most times I let Winnie wander and roam to her hearts' content. When someone else was coming the other way, either walking or biking, with or without a dog, I simply called to my dog, let the leash retract to a "normal" length of about 6 ft or less, until we got past the person. Then let it extend again.

Anyway, for me and my dog Winnie, so far it's working out very nicely. Although we did go to dog training at a local dog training club, it's not important to me that she walk right by my left side at all times, etc.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I feel your pain. I can't tell you the number of collars (Yes, collars, Smalls would paw and hook her mouth around them as a puppy and chew through them. We thought she was "accidentally" getting stuck, but observed her and it was on purpose to chew) we went through before figuring out bitter apple spray, designed for puppies and the moments you go to the bathroom for two seconds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The collar is too big if they can get their mouth around it
Not necessarily... I have a cat who can get her mouth under her collar without much effort at all, no matter how snug it is. She basically can't wear one because of that (she's an indoor cat and chipped, so the collar was more just for reassurance in case she got out) since because of the quick release it will just pop off. I'm sure a dog with a shorter jaw could do something similar, but just chew through the collar since dog collars don't have the same quick release cat collars do.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Not necessarily... I have a cat who can get her mouth under her collar without much effort at all, no matter how snug it is. She basically can't wear one because of that (she's an indoor cat and chipped, so the collar was more just for reassurance in case she got out) since because of the quick release it will just pop off. I'm sure a dog with a shorter jaw could do something similar, but just chew through the collar since dog collars don't have the same quick release cat collars do.
my Cat Butch has gone through at least 5 collars so far in his life and he's only a year and a half old. but because he goes outside a lot I keep buying them hoping that maybe someone will think twice about shooting him when they see he is a cherished family pet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts