Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling that ticks are going to be SUPER BAD this year. I've pulled two out of my pant legs this morning alone, and I haven't even really been outside today. Urgh.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thankfully we haven't seen manay of those pesky buggers here... although my aunt reports that she's been digging ticks off of her dogs (and kids!) every day.

It's funny that this should come up, because I've been doing some research on natural repellents so that I don't have to spend a fortune on meds. I believe essential oils work somewhat, like lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, rosemary... and lemons too, at least on fleas. And from what I hear, apple cider vinegar (which I've just started giving to my dogs in hopes of getting rid of fleas) is pretty good too. Don't quote me on that... I'm just now trying it and I don't know from experience whether it'll work on ticks, but it might be worth a try!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lemon- citrus is a natural flea repellent. Slice a lemon (score and leave the peel on) and pour 1 cup of boiling water over it. Let sit overnight- this water can then be sprayed on your dog. This will kill fleas and temporarily prevent new ones from taking up residence on your dog.

I think that I'm gonna try this tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, I found three on me yesterday. We live in the country and by the river, woods. Pickle and I walk there every day. Ugh. Ticks.....:eek:

:eek:We have a half mile path through the prarie and woods in our yard that I walk Pickle on everyday and we swim in the river and I've saw a whole bunch more then I expected too already. At least for me Pickle is a short haired mini daschund. I feel sorry for people with schnauzers and such.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts