Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a very small rural town where the main population is native. Now, understand me here right now, I am not racist. I try very hard to judge people based on their individual, and never judge based on skin colour or any other prejudiced or racist thing. But this just boils my blood...

Last year a woman moved here from Africa who started up a Humane Society. The second I got wind of this, before anything was official, I contacted her and told her I would like to be as involved as possible. Since then I have kept to my word.

One of the main problems with the dogs in this town are the dogs on the reserve. The reserve is almost like a town within this town. They have separate rules and laws and a lot of the natives really don't give a damn about their dogs. Let me emphasize on *most*, as I know several who are very respectable members of the community who take excellent care of their pets.

The problem with the reserve dogs is that they're running wild. Not just on the reserve either, they are in town a lot too. About two months ago or so, I brought Linkin into town (we live about a 15 minute drive out of town) for distraction training and at three different areas, by three different reserve dogs, he was ATTACKED. For no apparent reason. He now is very wary of other dogs and I have been working on this ever since.

The reserve dogs are pests, but more importantly they're becoming DANGEROUS. They form packs and have become very aggressive and are killing dogs, cats and most importantly; attacking PEOPLE now.

So in comes Angela (the woman who started the HS) and she's been working with the band office for months on cleaning up the problem. The band office is working with her and are being extremely cooperative. They understand what a problem these dogs are, and what a threat they pose. So a bylaw was placed that reserve dogs must be licensed by February 4th and all dogs that weren't by that time would be picked up by the HS.

I was supposed to go to the "rez dog round up" but unfortunately couldn't make it because I was sick. When I phoned Angela yesterday to apologize for not making it and to find out when our next training lesson is (as I'm training her to train her dogs at the moment) she told me that it didn't go very well. They did manage to get 4 dogs, some of the most aggressive ones, but in return have received a lot of threats from many of the natives on the reserve. To top it off... because the HS doesn't have a physical kennel built yet (we're in the process of raising money for it) dogs and cats go into foster care and some of the dogs go to the "pound". They've worked out a deal with the woman who runs the pound (that is a whole 'nother subject I could go on and on about - the woman who runs the pound :rolleyes:) that she's supposed to tell the HS when she gets any dogs in and vice versa. Also when there aren't foster homes available, these dogs go to the pound to be housed. Well, the dogs that were taken off the reserve were STOLLEN from the pound :eek:

It just makes me sick. It's all a matter of "possession". These people can't take the extra effort to CONTAIN their dogs and spend the bit of money to get the licensed and yet they'll put this much effort into THREATENING Angela and STEALING their aggressive dogs back? It's just ridiculous! Angela's told me that no matter what they're going to keep at it. These are all the details I know for now, but there's an emergency board meeting on Monday I'll be going to and I have a feeling this will be the main topic on the agenda, so I'll be able to find out more and hopefully we can come up with a plan to get these dogs out of there and KEEP them out.

I'm so mad right now I'm shaking. These dogs are posing a serious THREAT and it's been a huge problem since I can remember. Angela is such a wonderful person to come here and be working so hard to clean up this problem and there are people THREATENING her and who won't even try to understand the problem? It's disgusting!

</rant>

·
Registered
442 Posts
That sounds like a big mess. Where is this going on ? You can PM me if you like .
Don't know what to suggest either , I'm in BC as well and this isnt surprising at all to hear. Cant you set up a cheap video surveillance at the pound ? They are relatively cheap to buy now .

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It sounds to me like maybe you ought to see if the band office has any suggestions about things you can do to make people more willing to work with you. Approaching it from an outsider POV is probably going to be problematic.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, the reservations in this state can get pretty bad with the dog situation, too. One thing that has been found to work better than TAKING the dogs (which almost always causes resentment) is simply spaying/neutering and vaccinating them and releasing them back to the res. If this is explained properly to the locals, frequently some will even help with trapping and post-op care.

Sometimes you just have to choose the lesser of 2 evils :( . At least if the dogs are altered, the population will remain reasonably stable. And there may be less aggression, as the males would have fewer reasons to get territorial.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to say, native americans used to have the most incredible respect and care for other species, and yet because of what white settlers did to them, they have stuck them in a situation where they are very poor and also genetically tend to become alchoholics. While I understand the frustration, you need to look back the past couple hundred years at what has been done to these people, and instead of just blaming them, try to figure out a way to help them become less angry and have more of a reason to care. I am part Cherokee and I have some relatives who are fullblood lakota and live on a rez. I can't begin to tell you how hellish their lives are. Please look beyond the immediate problem to the greater problem.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yeah, the reservations in this state can get pretty bad with the dog situation, too. One thing that has been found to work better than TAKING the dogs (which almost always causes resentment) is simply spaying/neutering and vaccinating them and releasing them back to the res. If this is explained properly to the locals, frequently some will even help with trapping and post-op care.

Sometimes you just have to choose the lesser of 2 evils :( . At least if the dogs are altered, the population will remain reasonably stable. And there may be less aggression, as the males would have fewer reasons to get territorial.
This sounds like a good plan...I saw something like that implemented in AZ I think...helping with s/n and giving the animals back.....the only problem I see is the dogs that are coming into town and biting people and attacking/killing pets...those dogs do IMO need to be removed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BanJojo - It's a bit of a sensitive subject, as it makes me so angry but I really do understand from their POV, at least I try to and feel I do for a big chunk. I don't mean to be offensive in the least, I'm just so angry at the whole situation.

The HS IS implimenting a s/n and inaculation (sp?) program. Basically, because we don't have a vet clinic in town, Angela drives dogs and cats once a week to the closest low cost s/n clinic (which is about 2 hours away), and also the HS gets a good deal on vaccines at a clinic that is even closer (45 min drive).

While this does help a great deal with population control and disease, it's not helping for the aggressive dogs.

If I were native, regardless of how hellish my life may be, and I knew there were packs of dogs running wild around the reserve who have been known to attack people (including kids) I would welcome anyone's help to fix the problem!

I'll know more of what plans are in place for the reserve (as I've been mostly dealing with in town dogs because it wasn't until this week we've actually gotten dogs off the reserve) and any ideas to help solve this problem (the threats and stealing the dogs back) tomorrow night when I go to the meeting.

So far the band office has been very cooperative, so I'm sure they'll help in any way.

As for servailence; that's a good idea, and I'll bring it up, but in the end it's not up to us it's up to the woman who runs the pound. It sure will be nice when we have our own facilities built!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Unfortunately it might be come necessary to shoot any aggressive dog on sight if the "owners" won't cooperate in eliminating the problem in any other way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but isn't there some sort of "law official" on the rez?

sorry, i do not know about life on one, so i have no clue as to how physical disputes are handled.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am also part Cherokee and I live in a very open city of all people and love it here. I have on the other hand seen what happens on some Rev. and know that they have their own set of laws and rules and sometimes the laws and rules of the state they are in are not respected. It is sad to hear where you are at this is happening to dogs. I hope people dont get the wrong idea and think all rev. are like this or all people on the Rev. do things like this or agree with this. Thats just not the case and I hope you all can help the problem in your area maybe with your help it will make change that can follow to other places and help many many dogs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Lounrox. I agree, it is not like this EVERYWHERE. I don't think anything in life should ever be judged by a certain group or individual ;) I'm really hoping we can solve this in a civil manner as well.

pardon my ignorance, but isn't there some sort of "law official" on the rez?

sorry, i do not know about life on one, so I have no clue as to how physical disputes are handled.
I apologize if I've got this wrong, as I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the band office is kind of the people "in charge" on the reserve. I know that the RCMP do have jurisdiction (if that's the right word for it?) on the reserve, but I think a lot of matters are settled by the band and a lot of things are controlled by the band.

I'll really know a lot more after tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts