Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw the unleashed doxi people again....this time I was coming home from work and was coming around my block

so now I know for sure this time that the dog did not slip its collar...both dogs did not have a leach on !!

I'm going to have to set my chair out on the front porch this week to see if they walk up my street...I really want to try to s/w them nicely and ask why they aren't using leashes...epically since their dogs do not have recall and like to run up to other people and dogs !!:eek:

I know you catch more flies with honey...but gosh it pushes my buttons....its so rude and dangerous!!....but I'm going to make my best effort to be neighborly:D

·
Registered
637 Posts
just a friendly warning, don't turn into "that lady" the one we all despise that looks through her window and yells at people from the front porch about what she thinks :)

I completely understand where you're coming from, just don't want you to go into a downward spiral of crazy dog lady

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a friendly warning, don't turn into "that lady" the one we all despise that looks through her window and yells at people from the front porch about what she thinks :)

I completely understand where you're coming from, just don't want you to go into a downward spiral of crazy dog lady
As long as your not breaking the law and your dogs are charging me and my dogs....then you don't have anything to worry about ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
it's you're.... and apart from that, this stupid idiot of a jerk poopface, was walking past my place the other day (very rare) as i live in the middle of nowhere. so anyway he has his farmdogs, never seen him before, i don't know what he's doing there. so his dogs aren't leashed and come onto my property, my dogs just hang around and get locked up at night, so my dogs all start running towards his stupid arse dogs, lucky i have recall down to an art, i call back my four and they all come running and this really aggressive dog, runs after them and he's calling and it's completely ignoring (the other one went back), so i had to call all my dogs inside and barricade us in, until he comes and gets his dog...without an apology or anything and walks off....so weird

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry You're .....didn't realize the grammar ninjas were out this early in the morning

If her dogs had good recall and didn't bother others...I wouldn't say anything to her unless for some reason she spoke to me....but they don't and they do!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah we grammar nazis like to jump out when no one expects...

damn annoying walking off leash people... <~ *admires awesome sentence structure

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL....Well can't say I'm not guilty of correcting too....( Pit bull not Pitbull) for some reason that irks me a little :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'd push your buttons then :D

Wally walks with me off-leash. He's quite good at it, won't wonder off or charge people/dogs, and I don't let him on anyone's yards, etc.

As for why I do it - it's easier to train long distance actions/attention/recall without having to find, say, an 80' leash. Also easier for me to manage the clicker and treats for when we play the Look at That game. He's also proven I can trust him off-leash that he'll follow my directions, stay next to me by default, and sit when I stop, and won't just go chasing stuff like cats and squirrels.

Basically, he's "on leash" without a physical leash, which frees us both up for other activities.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I never take my pit bull mix anywhere without a leash. She's very playful and loves humans and other dogs. I'm working on getting her to be calmer, but I would never take the chance that she would jump on someone and accidentally hurt them just because of her large size. Moreover, not all dogs are as friendly as she is, so I don't want her to wander over to some dog that might hurt her. Finally, she is somewhat easily distracted, and could get lost trying to chase a squirrel or a rabbit.
All in all, it's just not a risk I am or will ever be willing to take. She means too much to me.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd push your buttons then :D

Wally walks with me off-leash. He's quite good at it, won't wonder off or charge people/dogs, and I don't let him on anyone's yards, etc.

As for why I do it - it's easier to train long distance actions/attention/recall without having to find, say, an 80' leash. Also easier for me to manage the clicker and treats for when we play the Look at That game. He's also proven I can trust him off-leash that he'll follow my directions, stay next to me by default, and sit when I stop, and won't just go chasing stuff like cats and squirrels.

Basically, he's "on leash" without a physical leash, which frees us both up for other activities.
..but it would only be a mild irk..LOL

but there is a huge difference between a dog under control and this situation....thats what really bugs me!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
..but it would only be a mild irk..LOL

but there is a huge difference between a dog under control and this situation....thats what really bugs me!
Heh well, I've run into dogs WITH leashes that are just as out of control (and they are strong dogs like Boxers and Labs so they just pull the owners over) :D

Yeah, it is annoying. One kinda scary situation is there's a family with a really energetic and bold puppy that once ran across the street to meet Wally (he's fixated on Wally for some reason even though Wally doesn't really like him LOL). That same puppy ran around and the kids almost lost him on another occasion (fortunately, he stayed close to home that time). I almost said something and next time I might - speaking out of concern for the pup more than anything else.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Re: Ugh!....No leash people again!

At least the out of control dog/leash people you are talking about are making some kind of effort (still irritating, I agree)...but this person just doesn't care or is too ignorant to know how rude its is to let your dog rush someone and aggressively bark and follow them down the street :eek:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Re: Ugh!....No leash people again!

Yeah hopefully, if/when you talk to them, you'll get them to see why you're concerned that you're speaking out of concern for the doxie as much as anything else.

One day, that doxie might try that on the wrong person (or dog) or a dog-hater...

·
Banned
363 Posts
If her dogs had good recall and didn't bother others...I wouldn't say anything to her unless for some reason she spoke to me....
If they had good recall and didn't bother others .....why say anything at all? I walk my dog off leash all the time. If we aren't bothering anybody or disturbing anyone's property then its nobody's business but our own.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I never walk my dogs off leash, but because it's the law. I could very easily go leash free, Jack has fantastic recall, and Jonas never leaves my ankles* but we have leash laws, and I follow them because I expect others to.

*Smalls is not included in this equation because she doesn't walk well ON a leash. She will bolt the minute she sees opportunity. :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
To me it's a courtesy thing. Zero has pretty good recall, but I walk him on a leash simply because other people don't know that. It's not like he has a neon sign on his head saying, "I have good manners, good recall and a master who pays attention to what I'm doing all the time." Plus, it's the law here even if it's not enforced. Brutus on the other hand has to be on a leash at all times because he's driven by his nose above all other things.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If they had good recall and didn't bother others .....why say anything at all? I walk my dog off leash all the time. If we aren't bothering anybody or disturbing anyone's property then its nobody's business but our own.

As I said I probably wouldn't say anything......If I did it would be just to remind her to be careful and to remind her that AC is in the neighborhood at least once at month..........but if your out on a public street breaking the law ...your making it everyone's business.....:)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
To me it's a courtesy thing. Zero has pretty good recall, but I walk him on a leash simply because other people don't know that. It's not like he has a neon sign on his head saying, "I have good manners, good recall and a master who pays attention to what I'm doing all the time." Plus, it's the law here even if it's not enforced. Brutus on the other hand has to be on a leash at all times because he's driven by his nose above all other things.
As I said I probably wouldn't say anything......If I did it would be just to remind her to be careful and to remind her that AC is in the neighborhood at least once at month..........but if your out on a public street breaking the law ...your making it everyone's business.....:)
Yup. What they said.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I had to reply to this posting as dogs off leash is a BIG thing with me. I have a dog, and she's perfect at recall, she never leaves my side, but I keep her on a leash as it's the LAW. You may be able to control your dog, and have him behave, and listens to your recall, but what about the dog that walks by, ON A LEASH? They react, and the owner has to try to control there dog because they get upset as one is leashed, and the other one isn't. There is a reason why there is a LAW of leash. I go to this park all the time, and there is signs EVERYWHERE saying dogs must be on leash, and you see so many dogs off leash, and also says no dogs near the kids play structure, and outdoor pool, and you see all kinds of dogs RUNNING around like a nut, and the owner just sitting there GABBING instead of obeying the law, and taking there dogs elsewhere......I don't know why it urks me too, but IT DOES. What I always wondered is.....if it's a law of having a leash, why are the by-laws not out there more often to get these off leash owners with a big ticket? sheesh

1 - 20 of 37 Posts