Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm totally not judging people who use invisible fences, but I just always knew they were not for my doggies. I prefer a real fence to keep them safe.

Well, we have an acre property and I've been in the process of having fence people come out and give us estimates. Um, talk about sticker shock. It's going to be anywhere from $5k to $10k to fence just the back yard. I had asked them all to give me estimates on fencing just a smaller portion of the yard, but they are all pointing out how bad it will look to divide up the yard (and I agree but didn't want to tell *them* that). Two of them have even told me flat-out, "With a property this size, I would look into getting an invisible fence." :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking about getting one. We don't have wild animals around here that would potentially harm our dogs... the dogs are NEVER outside unsupervised (although it would be nice to be able to let them out to play with me keeping an eye on them from the kitchen window or the deck). If they ran through it, obviously I would call them back to me and make sure they didn't run off somewhere. We would NEVER leave them outside if we were away from home.

I just HATE aversion of any kind and can't stand the thought of my sweet dogs feeling a shock! But realistically, I'm looking at spending money we don't have to fence it (plus spoiling the look of our large wooded property), vs. probably 1/5 the cost for an invisible fence.

I know this topic has been beaten into the ground here but I guess I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who HATES invisible fences but would consider one in these circumstances. My puppies are so high-energy even with several vigorous walks/jogs every day, and they have SO much fun playing in the back yard (finding wonderful sticks or going on pine cone hunts, jumping over a fallen log in the back, etc.) that I hate to deprive them of the fun of our back yard just because we don't have an extra $10,000 lying around.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Have you thought of going to a farm auction? I picked up some 6 foot fencing for super cheap.
Otherwise, you could try to find parts to a dog run.
My boss gave me four peices, and then I added another six peices for a couple hundred dollars.
I had been thinking about buying an electric fence for my three also.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What material are you looking at for the fence?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We thought about that, and currently have a 100' trolley set up with 15' leashes (sold as tie-outs, but we do not "tie out" our dogs), which works for now, although it's a pain putting harnesses on them each time. The problem with a dog run is that we have VERY uneven terrain (totally hilly) that would need to be graded anyway if we were to install a dog run... also, I HATE HATE HATE chain link... it would totally spoil the look of our back yard. Not to mention, they love running so hard and far that a dog run wouldn't be big enough IMO.

Forgot to say, I would LOVE to self-install... problem is, hell will freeze over before my husband will actually build something. :rolleyes: I am pretty handy with tools, but I suspect building a fence would be a bit over my head.

Namrah, we were thinking of split-rail with wire backing... we don't want to spoil the landscape with chain link or even privacy fence.

·
Banned
749 Posts
We thought about that, and currently have a 100' trolley set up with 15' leashes (sold as tie-outs, but we do not "tie out" our dogs), which works for now, although it's a pain putting harnesses on them each time. The problem with a dog run is that we have VERY uneven terrain (totally hilly) that would need to be graded anyway if we were to install a dog run... also, I HATE HATE HATE chain link... it would totally spoil the look of our back yard. Not to mention, they love running so hard and far that a dog run wouldn't be big enough IMO.
I don't know why you would have to grade the property if you were to do a dog run. The dog park we go to is not flat and a bit hilly. That's one of the reason why I like that park as opposed to the other one which is totally flat. How high do you think the fence would have to be?. Chain link fence might not look that great in it's original form but if it were black it's not that bad.

Here are the parks that I am talking about. In the last picture at the bottom you can see the difference in the fence. The top is the natural silver color and the bottom picture has the black fencing. The park with the black fence also has the natural hilly terrain.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the parks that I am talking about. In the last picture at the bottom you can see the difference in the fence. The top is the natural silver color and the bottom picture has the black fencing. The park with the black fence also has the natural hilly terrain.
Yeah, chain link is bearable if it's black... our property is REALLY hilly though... like massively 45-degree-or-more slopes plus rocks all over the place... I'll see what the other fence vendors I meet with say. Thanks for that link and for weighing in on this!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We have been pondering getting a wireless containment system. I'm not a fan of invisible fence or similar types for containment if the dog is going to just be let out without supervision. We have a small dog run for them to be let out into to go to the bathroom. Howevery, it would be nice to be able to play in the yard with them (its an acre or a bit more) off leash and not worrying as much about them running off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Winnie, thanks for that link! If that really does blend into the landscape as well as it says, that could possibly work! and the price -- wow!! Now to decide whether to do the entire back yard vs. creating a dog run area close to the house... hmmm.....

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I know! That's exactly what I've been thinking. We have a lovely view of a horse farm and woods and I would hate to ruin it with fencing. But this looks like it may be an option I could actually afford. Now if only we were the handy type....we're going to need to call in a few favors if we go this route!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not to mention, they love running so hard and far that a dog run wouldn't be big enough IMO.
Are you sure an invisible fence would even work with your dogs? I don't like the idea of shocking a dog, and I think it would be a waste of money if it didn't do what it was supposed to do.

I say this because you say they run hard and fast. My husband use to dog sit for three dogs that had an invisible fence. It didn't seem like it worked at all to me at all since they just ran right through it. They weren't all that concerned about walking near the property line either. They were large and fluffy (Bernese Mountain dogs), so maybe that was why the invisible fence didn't keep them in their yard. Also, this was several years ago. Maybe invisible fences are more effective now. But still, would there be a guarantee that it would work?

I don't like the idea of shocking a dog, and I think it would be a waste of money if it didn't do what it was supposed to do.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patty, I agree 100%, and that's why I'm so glad winniec777 posted that link to Best Friend fencing... the idea of my little puppies being shocked is just awful to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Patty, I agree 100%, and that's why I'm so glad winniec777 posted that link to Best Friend fencing... the idea of my little puppies being shocked is just awful to me.
I liked the fencing, too. If we lived in a rural area, I would consider it. We have a 6 foot privacy fence installed by the previous owners. Our yard is about 900 square feet. We live in a residential suburb, so we don't have the beautiful scenery you have.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
We installed our fencing, it only cost a few hundred dollars to fence in a 1/2 acre of land...

It's simply farm fencing, with farm posts, all from Home Depot.

This is our fence:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts